Daniel Meier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leipzig, Germany

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:36 AM

Hey folks.
I have a commerical shoot on Monday. It's going to be all interior shots in a rather tight living room with an old lady waiting for her friends.

We have some HMIs (2,5k, 1,2k and two 575w) as well as three Arri Tungsten Lights (700w, 650w and 300w) and only little diffusion material (white bedsheet, white diffusion gel)

I have certain insecurities about the lighting, as I haven't done this a lot before:

I'm mostly concerned about my color temperature.

Since there are going to be candles in the shot I'd rather go with the tungsten light as my key and gel the HMI to 3200K to maintain a warm look.

Could I enhance this look by mimicking the sunlight coming through tha main window of the room (see attached photo)? Being more coldish it would probably create a nice color contrast. But worry about it just beeing too blue. I don't want to get that videoish look of mixed lighting of daylight and tungsten, which always looks awful to me.

Should I gel the HMIs rather to a warmer color temp.? Something like 4800K or 4200K? Or even go colder to mimic an overcast day by going 6500K?

And then put some practicals in the shot to justify the tungsten sources.

Or is it just about good seperation of the different color temp. sources? I.e. not letting the actor get hit by any mixed lighting?!

My imagination kinda let's me down on this one.

Also have another question. Do I need to filter out the green cast of a Kino Flo light if I want to match it to the HMIs? Because some HMis do have a slight green cast if the lamps in it are a bit old, don't they.

I'd appreciate your input!

Edited by Daniel Meier, 06 December 2015 - 04:46 AM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

Kino 55 tubes in a Kinoflo may or may not be any greener than an HMI, just depends on either light -- Kinos can go greener if there isn't enough air circulation around the tubes, for example.  You can carry to minus-green correction gel just in case you see a matching problem.

If you don't want the big difference between 3200K lamps and 5600K lamps, I certainly wouldn't add more blue gel to HMI's.  

On the other hand, I also wouldn't worry about a room lit with HMI's in the daytime with candles -- in a day situation, unless it is a very dark room, candles are not going to provide key illumination so it doesn't matter too much if they go more orange because you are working at daylight color temperature settings, or some halfway setting like 4300K for a cool daylight feeling.  If the candles are actually lighting faces in a dark room, then perhaps you'd want to shift the color temp of the lighting closer to 3200K to keep the faces from going too reddish in candlelight.  Then you might be gelling your HMI's and Kinos a bit warmer.

All depends on the look you are going for.

#3 Daniel Meier

Daniel Meier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leipzig, Germany

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for your contribution, David. And for the advice on the Kinos!

The candles are just part of the set, they won't be used as any kind of key or fill.

The director wants kind of a christmas mood. So I guess going 4300K with the daylight, like you mentioned it, works best in that case.

#4 Daniel Meier

Daniel Meier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leipzig, Germany

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

Here is what we ended up with:

Ebene_1.jpg

Ebene_2.jpg

Ebene_3.jpg

Ebene_4.jpg

Ebene_5.jpg

Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to establish a little more depth and contrast to the first scene. I would've liked the christmas tree to shine through more, but it didn't have the power. We would've had to bring down our light level in order to have this one glow more.

But I like the last shot, as it has a beautiful sunset in the background. That shot came about pretty randomly.

Edited by Daniel Meier, 13 December 2015 - 04:36 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Abel Cine

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Pro 8mm

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly