New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director
  • Geneva, London

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

Hey,

I recently decided to switch from digital to film by investing in some 16mm equipment (an Aaton A-Minima more precisely), and got a few film stocks in the pack (a few 64D 8622, two 500T 77219 and one 250D 7267). I am gonna start testing it out in some difficult conditions for the need of a special project;

We're shooting this week in an attraction park at night. This means lots of different colorful lights mixed to some very dark scenes. I tried to find some answers on how to set up the lightmeter and the camera, but can't find anything about how to handle it in this specific situation.

- Which film stock do you recommend using ? 500T ? What whould happen if I shot it on the 64D ?
- I reckon I'll have to use the lightmeter's reflective mode as I will mainly be shooting directly in the light source ?
- Knowing that I'll also make some portaits of people in this place, could I use the same film stock ? Or do you recommend switching with a lower speed ?

Here are some examples of what I am looking for in terms of results:

500107461.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=F13A1

721-92.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=F13A1F91

Best,

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18788 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:30 AM

Stick to 500T for everything, it will make shooting simpler.   You need 500T for grabbing shots of people in the crowd lit by the flashing lights and signs.  The signs and lights themselves are brighter so you'd want to stop down when shooting them.  You could switch to a 200T stock for that, but then you'd be switching back and forth between two stocks in a semi-documentary situation.  Better to keep it simple and stay more mobile.

I shot a county fair for "The Astronaut Farmer" and ran around one night grabbing B-roll footage on a 35mm camera.  I was mostly at 500 ASA, rated at 320 or 400 ASA probably, and often wide-open.  I used some 64D stock in the daytime and some 250D stock earlier at sunset, but once it was night, I needed the speed of 500T except for inserts of neons, etc. which are bright enough to allow slower stock, but since we were running around, it wasn't possible to take the time to switch between two stocks.

Your examples aren't appearing in the post.

#3 Mateo Ybarra

Mateo Ybarra

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director
  • Geneva, London

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

Thanks a lot David, I'll go for the 500T then. I was a bit scared about having some motion blur; or either having some very overexposed scenes by shooting directly in the light source.

I was also told that I could expose it like if it was 320 to make the picture less grainy.

Here are the examples I was talking about (hopefuly the link will work out this time):

http://imageshack.co...7215/kUwSaL.png

Edited by Mateo Ybarra, 06 December 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#4 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:58 PM

I agree with David. I recently used 500T and it has a lot of latitude, but you won't get over-exposed images (even with that much light from the park). You may even get a decent stop for certain shots but, overall, the 7219 should be fine. And I would just rate it at 500. Even that stock is pretty fine-grained and since you are shooting at night, you'll want that extra 1/3 of a stop.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6767 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Motion Blur? I doubt you'd be changing shutter speed on the camera-- so your shutter will be at 1/48th assuming 24p @180  degrees.

And yes, I too would do 500T, though I would also rate it at 320-- I'd like a little more density in the shadows to play with personally-- though I feel you could even push it to 1000 without too much of an issue (though do that for a whole roll, not just select shots-- and i'd meter @ 800 if I was going for a 1 stop push to 1000), but again, this is often a matter of taste and voodoo.

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Technodolly

Zylight

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider