#1 David Edward Keen

David Edward Keen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

i need to fly in from the middle of the room on my little mini "steadicam", about 6 feet to the door, where a character will crack it open and smile like a maniac.

i'd like to avoid being out of focus until arriving at the final mark in front of the door. i have no fancy FFocus, BUT what if i videoed in deep focus, deep enough to have a few feet DOF?

Wouldn't i need to add a certain amount more light, then close the iris a certain amount to keep the continuity of lighting between these shots and the other shots not in deep focus?

First of all, is this correct reasoning? If yes, i can be in  focus the whole journey to the door, where of course i'd rather rack focus if i had the tools.

If i'm right, how can i use my new sekonic L-478D meter to help me measure how much more light, etc?

thanks!

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18788 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

Yes, if you don't change the ASA rating or the shutter speed, then you need to increase the light level if you are going to stop down the lens but maintain the same exposure.  Though a deep stop isn't really going to replace follow-focusing.  At best, you could light to a deeper stop, set the focus for the end of the move, and let the shot be semi-soft until you land on the face.

Every stop is doubling or halving the amount of light you need.  Same as doubling or halving the ASA rating.

The other thing that affects depth of field is the sensor size in combination with the focal length needed to get a certain field of view.  So using a large FF35 sensor camera is only going to make it harder to increase the depth of field, whereas something like an M4/3 sensor or 2/3" sensor will already help you get more depth of field.

Ultimately though this is not the best solution if all you want is for the shot to be in focus.  More depth of field will make holding focus a little easier... but you need to eventually solve the problem of following focus, even if it means trying a camera with auto-focus for that particular shot if you can't figure out how to add a remote focus device or a focus wheel, etc.

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab