John W. King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Student
  • Texas

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

Hello all,

For the current film I'm working on, I had to go through an odd process to do what I needed to it.

First, I imported the footage into Premiere so as to trim it down and piece it all together.

Then, I opened up After Effects, and imported the project from Premiere into AE so as to do some edits to it that I could only do in this program.

Then, after finishing these edits, I opened Premiere back up and imported this AE timeline that I had added the edits to into a timeline on Premiere.

Basically, I did all this without ever having to export from a program.

Just some specs: I use Windows 7 with 8gb of RAM. Also, the video files I used were ProRes HQ. 

Everything turned out fine, but there is one inconvenience: when I play the final video in Premiere, it has extremely choppy playback (even on 1/4 quality). I did do some pretty heavy edits to it in After Effects, but my question is, is this the best way to go about doing something like this? Or should I have exported an H.264 file from AE, then import it into Premiere?

Thanks a lot!

John

Edited by John W. King, 15 December 2015 - 10:32 PM.

#2 Daniel Meier

Daniel Meier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leipzig, Germany

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

The Problem with Dynamic Link is that it requires a lot of rendering power. Even with my computer (16GB Ram with Geforce GTX680) I get some heavy drop frames.

Best workflow would be to do the After Effects work at the end, right before rendering the final project.
Or use proxy files instead of dynamic link, and replace the proxies with a high res DNxHD or Apple Prores at the end of th editing.

What is it that you are doing in AE? Motion Graphics, Color Gradin, Time remaping? Maybe there is another workaround?

#3 Daniel Meier

Daniel Meier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leipzig, Germany

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:15 AM

Another mehotd would be to prerender the AE comps in Premiere. Then you will get rid of the choppy playback at least. However, anytime a change is being made in AE, you'd have to prerender again.

#4 John W. King

John W. King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Student
  • Texas

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

What is it that you are doing in AE? Motion Graphics, Color Gradin, Time remaping? Maybe there is another workaround?

I am adding an 8mm film template to a scene I cut up in Premiere. So, just some fairly light VFX. 

#5 Daniel Meier

Daniel Meier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leipzig, Germany

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:36 AM

If it's just a simple overlay 8mm effect, you could just render a 30 sec. comp with alpha channel. Then paste it into premiere and loop it, for as long as your timeline is.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Adobe, Premiere, CS6, workflow, import, importing, exporting, export

The Slider

CineTape

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Pro 8mm

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies