#1 Jan Tore Soerensen

Jan Tore Soerensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Director
  • Norway

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

Good evening! I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now, and it seems like a great place with many knowledgeable users. Good thing I found it.

Now, on to my issue. I am shooting a short film/commercial, and I shot a night-to-day lapse this morning. I shot it RAW, thankfully. What troubles me is that the light is changing so much during the shot, that from the second half, white balance is way off. I am editing the lapse in AFX, but right now, I am wondering what the best way to approach this would be. As I see, I have three options.

I could split the lapse, and use different grading, which probably would be very noticeable in the end result. I could somehow use color correction to balance the colors, or I could change the white balance in Vegas when editing. The last option is the easiest, but wouldn't it be preferable to do it while I am editing in RAW?

Maybe I am overthinking this, and there is an easy way all together. 

If this is misposted, please move it.

Thanks.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Welcome! Yes, definitely do the corrections in RAW. I prefer to use Adobe Lightroom, it's very convenient to edit a large number of raw stills at one time. There's an app extension made for timelapse that is supposed to make the workflow easier, though I have not tried it yet:

http://lrtimelapse.com

#3 Daniel Meier

Daniel Meier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leipzig, Germany

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:22 AM

It's called LR Timelapse. And it's especially designet to kill flickering issues that come along with when shooting Aperture Priority mode.

But I think it detects any other EXIF data changes as well, including white balance.

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:27 AM

There have been times when Ive been shooting time lapse and the light conditions have fluctuated quite dramatically - from full sun to dense cloud. In such cases, I manually adjusted the WB of individual Raw frames in Lightroom.

#5 Jan Tore Soerensen

Jan Tore Soerensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Director
  • Norway

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the input. I got it pretty good manually adjusting things in Lightroom now. I will then do minor adjustments in AFX. 

LRtimelapse looks interesting. Probably have to invest in it if I keep on doing time lapses for my films. I guess shooting with auto white balance could be beneficial as well.

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Pro 8mm

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC