Filip Orlandic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

Dear all,

Do you know what films were shot with

Schneider-Kreuznach Cine Xenon ARRI Std lenses?

Thanks

#2 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:17 AM

This might actually be a hard topic,  The Arri 35 was invented in 1937, and Schneider-Kreuznach have been around even before that.

I don't know if there were other lenses on offer in 1937, but you can almost best a picture was shot with the Arri 35, it likely had one of these.

Dark Passage and Louisianan Story were the first two features shot on Arriflex 35's, but no one wrote down the manufactures of the lenses used.

Schneider still manufacturers lenses today, with most saying they are at least comparable (if not indistinguishable) to the same vintage of Cooke lenses.

#3 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

I did a quick check on ShotOnWhat ( https://shotonwhat.com/). Nothing shows up.

I would think that "The Evil Dead" likely used Schneider primes. But I don't know for certain.

I DO know they were a lot cheaper than the Zeiss or Cooke lenses back in the day (when they sold them new).

#4 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 562 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

Actually, there is not a lot of information regarding movies shot with this little set of lenses, even Schneider (the company) doesn't know anything about them anymore because they are that old and don't have records of movies shot with the Cine - Xenon.

What I know is that they have a very old feeling with a wonderful oval - shaped bokeh which comes from the aberrations that the lenses have.

It works very well for some projects, I shot two projects with my set and I couldn't be happier.

The only negative part is the close focus, the closest is the 28mm and it is 12", I wish it would be in the 6" mark .

Other than that, they are small, compact, very light and produce magnificent and very organic results.

By the way, they cover Super35mm.

Have a good day!

#5 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1896 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

Probably close to 20 years ago now, I did tests with them at a camera rental house when I was just starting out in the business. I remember the most warm and beautiful flare from one in the series, can't recall which one. Ever since that day I've always wanted a set.

CineLab

Zylight

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Pro 8mm

Technodolly