Photo

In need of classic stock footage from 50's to 70's but where?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:00 AM

Hey gang, I am behind the Great China Firewall so I am in hell. The internet here is near useless and in this city every single English language search engine is blocked or throttled to the point where they are useless. 

I need some stock footage, cheap or free, for a short film. Drugs, Airports, Airplanes, security cameras, bus and train stations, preferably shot on film from the 50's, 60's and 70's 

Government educational stuff is superb. 

Anyone know where I can get this stuff? There are dozens and dozens of stock footage sites, but I am unable to search them. 

I need to know a specific site so I ca head to a net cafe and get up via a VPN and try to find what I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5189 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

, cheap or free, for a short film.

If only I had a nickel every time I heard an indie filmmaker say that. :)  (I run a stock footage house fyi).

I would always check artbeats first as they have a royalty free library, that is "cost effective."  (professional producers never use the word "cheap.")  They carry very little archival though.

The biggest archival collection is Getty, but the words "cheap" and "free" are not in their vocabulary.  I should know, I'm not only one of their biggest suppliers, but also a customer for my own films.  I'm usually paying them well above $10, 000.00 for my order.

R,

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other
  • Right on the edge in London

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

Hey gang, I am behind the Great China Firewall so I am in hell. The internet here is near useless and in this city every single English language search engine is blocked or throttled to the point where they are useless. 

I need some stock footage, cheap or free, for a short film. Drugs, Airports, Airplanes, security cameras, bus and train stations, preferably shot on film from the 50's, 60's and 70's 

Government educational stuff is superb. 

Anyone know where I can get this stuff? There are dozens and dozens of stock footage sites, but I am unable to search them. 

I need to know a specific site so I ca head to a net cafe and get up via a VPN and try to find what I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

On film!? That is a big ask as Stock Footage places tend to be geared to more modern stuff shot digitally.

I think your first port of call should be the Prelinger Archives, especially if you are looking for something more like ancient government films and wierd ephemera from the past like ancient adverts.

Here is a link:

https://archive.org/details/prelinger

Freya

#4 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. Uh... $10,000? That's my entire budget. And we already spent it all so money is tight. Note i said "cheap or free", not just free. Hey we will pay a small fee for some good footage, but anything even close to a thousand dollars would be impossible. 

I can recall there being a site with tons and tons of government films from the 50's and 60's, but what that site was, I've no clue. That was ten_+ years ago and their fees were basically $1 a second. 

I'll have my editing partner back in NYC check out Prelinger. I was able to connect with Getty but the site is fabulously confusing. Video? where? No clue. 

Pro 8mm

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Zylight

CineLab

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc