2 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2265 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

We laugh because it's revolting, like all the N words, like a naked man sucking the dick of a black man and grotesque bloody violence. Does the audience really need to see those things in order to tell a story? No... Quentin showed us those things because they are humorous to him AND his fans.

This is a big reason why I'm not a fan of his films.  Gratuitous sex & violence that serves the story is one thing, but putting gratuitous sex & violence in a film simply because you can, when it does nothing to further the story, has always been something that's completely turned me off - regardless of who the film-maker is.

Quite honestly, the only reason I'm going to see it in the theater is for the presentation.

#2 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2265 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

However, this is a great interview with Robert Richardson...

Digital Cinema Society

#3 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2368 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

I'm not a hater, I actually enjoy Quentin's films. That's because I understand where he comes from. Sure, he goes over the top at least once in his movies. In the Hateful Eight, it's a dick sucking scene, which could have been told and not shown. In fact, it was completely unnecessary to the story and it shows how Quentin does what he wants to do and the Weinstein's go along with it.

I thought Django was brilliant, but it had this horrible scene with a dog hunting down and eating a black man. I know why it's there, it's all about symbolism and how bad-ass the antagonist is. However, it's not clever in any way, it's actually not necessary to the story.

Most filmmakers would cut those scenes out (I wouldn't have even written them), but Quentin gets final cut on his films and good on him. That is his vision and he's going to show you exactly what he wants. It makes his films more edgy and it targets a very specific audience that honestly, enjoys those things. Whether they get high from seeing them or what, I don't know. To me, those little moments kinda ruin his movies because in my eyes, necessity is the key to storytelling. If something isn't necessary, don't show it!

Had Hateful Eight been shot digitally, I would have waited for video. I'm not bashing the film by saying that, my home theater is far better then most movie theaters. I have seen Hateful Eight three times now in 70mm, I'll probably see it a 4th before to long. I think it's worth seeing for the the music, performances and cinematic value.

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Zylight

CineLab

Tai Audio

Glidecam