Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:04 AM

Hi,

im reading "The Camera Assistant's Manual" from David E. Elkins, S.O.C at the moment and it is just amazing. it explains everything that has to do with 16/35mm filmmaking, the roles of the different people in the camera department, how to load all the different film cameras on the market, what to do when the camera does not run properly and so on. The great thing is that he doesnt just talk away in technical therms but writes in a very clear and easy to understand way. I think this book is a great alternative to the ASC bible and a great thing to have on location for people who are just starting out. It has a lot of formulas and tables in the back too.

#2 anamexis

anamexis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:23 AM

Sounds like something I could really benefit from, I will have to add that to my list of books to buy.
It sounds like it covers both the technical side of ACing, as well as information about how a typical feature is organized and jobs, which is a bit harder to find in my experience. Thanks!

Here is an Amazon link.

#3 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:03 AM

here is the link to the authors page that contains heaps of usefull information and charts to download:

http://www.cameraassistantmanual.com/

#4 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:51 AM

I like the book as well. I read it a long time ago, mainly because I just enjoy books of that nature.

He really talks about the things no one teaches you, so if you are just starting out it can really give you a head start.

Kevin Zanit

#5 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:28 PM

thats true, just from reading the first 10 pages i got more information on aspect ratios than i learned in filmschool, and i finaly understand the 4/3 perf film saving issue :)

#6 shoot2still

shoot2still
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

This post makes me feel really good. David Elkins is the assistant dean at my school, head of the cinematography discipline, and my personal mentor. He's a great teacher. He's honest and down to earth, too. He just finished a new addition of this book, so if you have an older addition, you might want to get the newer version. Here is a link to his personal website that has a lot to offer. The links page will get you to almost every camera related website you can think of. Take care.

http://www.davidelkins.com/

Edited by shoot2still, 29 May 2005 - 07:35 PM.

#7 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

Is it like David Samuelson's Hand's on Manual for Cinematographers? ( the red one)

This post makes me feel really good.  David Elkins is the assistant dean at my school, head of the cinematography discipline, and my personal mentor.  He's a great teacher.  He's honest and down to earth, too.  He just finished a new addition of this book, so if you have an older addition, you might want to get the newer version.  Here is a link to his personal website that has a lot to offer.  The links page will get you to almost every camera related website you can think of.  Take care.

http://www.davidelkins.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Opal

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Visual Products