2 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Ive got some time lapse footage which has some unwanted movement and it is to be incorporated into a film that I'm submitting to a film festival. I'm having mixed success with Virtual Dub's Deshaker tool. The footage was obtained from digital stills. The finished film will be 1920 x 1080. Initially, I created a 1920 x 1280 copy of the video (no cropping) and used Deshaker on that which was quite foolish of me. Deshaker did a reasonable job but because of the inevitable cropping, I end up with a video clip that is below true 1920 x 1080 quality. Very silly of me. It looks fine on a medium sized HDTV but may not look so great on a big screen at a festival.

So next, I went ahead and created a full resolution 4608 x 3072 video from the stills and tried Deshaker on that. It was to be later imported into Sony Movie Studio where it would be reduced to 1920 x 1080. First pass went okay but with the second pass, it took forever to process. 12 hours later and it was still rendering. And it had only completed frame 9 out of 165 supposedly. I aborted it. I guess the software couldn't cope with a file that huge.

I then created a 2350 x 1567 video from the stills and started Deshaker on that. But when the very last step came, it refused to render. I get an error message that says: "Cannot start video compression. An unknown error occurred (may be corrupt data.) Error code 100."

Would it be anything to do with the Xvid codec I selected? I used this very same codec on the previous two renderings and did not have this issue on those occasions.

Since then, Ive created two more video clips from the same stills (utilising different file sizes) and I keep getting the same error message. Ive created a 2300 x 1533 and a 2330 x 1553 video and neither of those will render. I guess I could try some different codecs from within VD but Ive no idea which ones are worth using (I know not all codecs are created equal.) These are the ones that I have in VD - Cinepack Codec by Radius, Intel IYUV, Microsoft RLE, Microsoft Video 1 and Xvid MPEG4 and of course Uncompressed RGB (I would prefer some compression but minimal quality loss.) Which would be the best codec to use out of those for HD video?

Edited by Patrick Cooper, 30 December 2015 - 10:24 PM.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:45 AM

I've never used VirtualDub for anything beyond HD resolution. You might try contacting Avery Lee, the author. He's been responsive to me in the past.

Most modern Windows machines don't have any very useful mezzanine codecs available for AVI encoding. It's a bit of a shame. I'd look into installing the (strangely-named) Ut Video. It only achieves mild compression of perhaps 2:1, so your 4K-ish files will still be very large, but it is lossless. I certainly wouldn't use xvid.

Much as I'm a big fan of VirtualDub, though, this sounds increasingly like a job for After Effects. Depending how you shot the material, you may be able to maintain a higher bit depth, and it's more used to dealing with large frame sizes. That said, if you have a long production you want to globally deshake, it may take a lot of time in AE. VirtualDub should be able to handle it, though, and it'd be nice to figure out why it can't.

P

#3 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

Thanks Phil. Yea I only just recently heard some not so nice things about the Xvid codec. The only reason why I used it was because there's an online tutorial on how to use Virtual Dub's Deshaker written by a guy who uses Xvid and he seems to be satisfied with it. Ut Video? I haven't heard of that one before. Sounds very useful but generally these little clips would be brought into Sony Movie Studio which struggles with large file sizes. I don't think my copy of Sony Movie Studio was designed to accommodate video footage that is above HD resolution.

Anyhow, Virtual Dub's Deshaker finally worked. And Ive no idea why. I just kept trying - didn't really do anything different other than create a different size video file for each attempt. And there wasn't much of a difference in  size between most of the copies of the TL footage.

Edited by Patrick Cooper, 31 December 2015 - 08:32 PM.

Willys Widgets

Pro 8mm

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies