Simon Bengtsson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Sverige

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

Hi everyone! 

I will get my hands on the Arri SXU-1 System for the first time and i was wondering a bit about lens data.

Is it possible to get lens data to the hand unit with a SMC-1 motor controller or do i have to step up to the WCU-4 system? 

We are on a budget and i can't afford the WCU-4 and it is not entirely necessary to have the lens data, it would be nice though :P 

And if anyone used it before, how does it handle? Are the CLM-4 Motor strong? I will be using Zeiss HS mkIII and a LMB-15 mattebox (clip-on).

I've hade some issues with heden motors that aren't strong enough to pull the lens barrel, especially in cold weather.

#2 Tuomas Viitakoski

Tuomas Viitakoski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Helsinki

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

Tjäna Simon,

SXU-1 is not compatible with the LDS, so you need to have a WCU-4 and a receiver (Alexa Plus, UMC-4) as well.

CLM-4 motors are not the strongest ones but have a decent torque (can be adjusted from settings).
Depending on how old and worn they are - some of the HS lenses, like 18mm for example, may get stiff when there's a clip-on attached. So if you experience any trouble you may have to change it to rod mounted MB.

Good luck!

-Tuomas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: remotefocus, follow focus, arri, sxu-1, smc-1

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Zylight

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Abel Cine

The Slider

CineTape