#1 Vivek Venkatraman

Vivek Venkatraman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

Hey,

So I am thinking of using this camera for a small project [fiction] that involves a lot of controlled night exterior [car shots and exterior location] and lit up night interior as well as day exterior[also car shots where a burnt background is possible].

I am testing the camera tomorrow [shooting footage as well as doing a basic grade in resolve]

How do you approach testing a camera in a systematic efficient manner so as not to end up with lot of meaningless footage ?

My aim is to understand the sensor , understand exposing S-Log 3 and understand what I can and cannot do with the camera in terms of image.

This also kind of ties up with my other post on exposing S-log 3 so any tips is much appreciated. I am quoting it below just to make things easier.

Hi,

I am about to embark on  a shoot with the Sony A7s ii and have a couple of queries as I am trying to understand how the sensor performs considering I have never worked with Sony cameras..

1 - Slog 3 is numbered as which picture profile on this camera ? There are 2 slog picture profiles in this camera what are the differences ?

2 - People recommend exposing to the right now -

i - Should I expose to the right of the camera meter ?

ii - Or should I over expose the main thing in the scene that I am aiming to expose properly by a meter reading ?[ say the characters face]

iii - Does this approach work for shooting at night ? Is there a picture profile that works better for you for night exterior ?

iv - What is the logic of exposing in this manner ?

v -  At what ISO does noise become visible in blacks, is it normal for noise to be present ? Is de-noising in post a common practise with this camera ?

3 - How does one approach exposing a scene with a 4 stop reading between background and subject ? Still over expose by 2 stops ? 2 stops of what ? A camera meter or a light meter ?

4- Any tips for day interior, day exterior,night interior and night exterior ?

5 - Any other best practises while exposing with this camera ? Any useful tips ?

Thanks

PS - I will be testing the camera soon as well  :)

Thank you all, I have found this website to be a great learning resource :)

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

I would recommend shooting an over/under exposure test with any new digital camera or filmstock. I wrote a description of how to perform one for film in this thread: http://www.cinematog...l=&fromsearch=1.

Doing one for digital is much easier since you can do the post yourself on a laptop. The important thing is to only change one variable in the test at one time. So if you want to test exposure in SLog 3, then lock the picture profile, fps, shutter, and ISO in the camera to one constant setting. Only use one viewing LUT in post. And then do your exposure step wedges all with the same settings. This should allow you to figure out how best to expose the sensor given these settings. If you decide to also test SLog 2 gamma or a different ISO, you need to do the test over again with the new settings.

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Abel Cine

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Zylight