2 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

Just watched this for the first time on cable and I was struck by how under-lit the night exteriors (which made up the majority of the film) appeared to be.  It's one thing to underexpose, but when you simply can't see what's happening on the screen because the image is so dim - that's an entirely different matter.  It's not my TV because I just watched Sicario (a great film) earlier today and it looked amazing.

Anyone else notice this when they watched Godzilla?  I not familiar with much of Seamus McGarvey's work other than Atonement (2007) so I really don't know if this more stylistic or technical in nature.

#2 Jeff L'Heureux

Jeff L'Heureux
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Director
  • Vancouver, Canada

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:53 AM

I saw it in the theater, and didn't notice anything annoyingly underlit.  All I remember that comes close is the scene where they were lying down on the train track bridge, but I think it was supposed to be only moonlit.  On the big screen it was fine though.

I remember driving around Vancouver when it was filming and seeing their set on the street outside with all of the rubble everywhere from Godzilla's destruction.  Neat stuff.

#3 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2369 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:24 AM

It was for sure dark, but I don't think the practical material was underlit. It was more the CG/Composited elements which were dark.

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Pro 8mm

Zylight