AndreaAltgayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:53 AM

Hi everyone,
First of all, happy new year to you all!

I have a question.I work in live TV and have noticed that some of the big chain stores here in South Africa are selling them really cheap.I am really keen to buy one for myself along with a drone.I work for a business news channel and I thought that I could use it to create nice beauty shots for our live programmes.I still need to speak to the powers that be, but I think it would add a nice look to our programmes.My question is this.How easy is it to connect a GoPro to our studio mixing desk without having to use OB facilities? Our editors are really busy so I don't think it would be practical to pre record the shots.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11232 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:58 AM

Many of them have HDMI outputs. You'd probably need an HDMI to SDI converter to patch it into a studio. Blackmagic, Atomos and others make them and they aren't particularly expensive. Shouldn't be a big deal, although there may be some limitations in terms of what frames rates and formats are supported by the camera, the converter, and your studio systems. You'd have to try it.

easy-to-use-features.jpg?_v=1396514351

P

#3 DavidKlaus

DavidKlaus

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Switzerland

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

Just be careful that the gopro outputs a framerate that matches your mixing desk or that your desk has scalers on the inputs. A tv channel I sometimes work for use a pretty expensive framerate converter to change the progressive output of the gopro to an interlaced signal.

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:44 AM

Are you intending to use the drone / multicopter to get some aerial footage with the GoPro for your program? If so, I would recommend getting heaps and heaps of practice just flying the drone on it's own before you even consider mounting the GoPro. Not only that but I would also recommend starting with one of the cheap, toy grade quadcopters rather than the expensive GPS-enabled models with automatic flight modes like a DJI Phantom. Although DJI markets their products towards beginners, the fact is there are so many fly aways and crashes involving DJI Phantoms. And I'm willing to bet that a lot of these mishaps are the result of beginners who panic in instances when the GPS misbehaves. The cheap, toy grade quadcopters have no automatic flight modes so they force you to fly manually which is a good thing. That way, you'll develop good flying skills which will serve you well when you transition to a more expensive quadcopter with GPS later on. If the GPS starts playing up, you can switch to manual mode and get yourself out of trouble with the skills you learned from flying the cheaper quads. Plus when you're first learning to fly quadcopters, crashes are pretty much inevitable. And it's better to crash a $40 quadcopter than a $1200 quadcopter. And with more practice (with the toy-grade quads), there'll be fewer crashes.

Edited by Patrick Cooper, 25 January 2016 - 12:49 AM.

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Zylight

CineTape

Technodolly

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Pro 8mm

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine