B&H 70DR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FilmmakerJack

FilmmakerJack
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hey, I was thinking of purchasing a B&H 70DR. What's the price range for a working model? Any word of advice about the camera? Pros, Cons?

#2 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

From $100-$600, depending on condition, options, extras. A very tough camera, I love my Filmo. (I have a 70A) Main pros are it's reliability, compactness, and solid construction. Main cons are the parrallex viewer, and the layout is a bit awkward for the novice. Also the film magazine location is a bit odd.

#3 Robert Morein

Robert Morein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:34 PM

The registration is not at the level of a typical sync-sound camera.
But I'm not sure if there is any windup camera that does register as well.

#4 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:38 PM

The Filmo 70DR takes 100' daylight spools only, not the 200' or 400' magazines that the 70HR and 70KRM models do. For handheld shooting I prefer the DR model to the HR/KRM - it sits comfortably against the forehead, which helps stabilize the shot. For tripod setups I use a 70HR/KRM with the 400' magazine; the windup spring is strong enough to drive the camera and the takeup spool without need for an electric motor, although the electric motor allows arbitrarily long takes up to the length of the film roll. The windup spring allows about 35 seconds per take.

Remember that all Filmo cameras are at least 30 years old by now, and although they are simple and tough cameras they benefit from regular maintenance. I've had a couple that shrieked due to lack of recent lubrication. Even after cleaned and lubed they are too noisy for sound work, and their mechanical governors are only approximately close to the marked fps dial indications; you would need a Tobin sync motor or equivalent to use it at a legitimate sound speed. Unlike the Bolex H16 which has a single frame trigger, the Filmo does not support single frame shooting unless you attach an animation motor.

If the mechanism and gate are in good shape your picture will be steady enough for B camera use, and with a good lens you can take fine shots. As it accepts C mount lenses your choice of optics is wide open. The turret will accept adapters; I own a C to Nikon F mount adapter which works fine. Also, the Filmo is reputed to be convertible to Super16, although I haven't tried it myself.

I am happy with my Filmos and recommend them highly for general purpose silent filmmaking.

#5 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:07 AM

Actually, Robert, you're not 100% right there. Some DR's, and even DA's, did have the magazine back option. With Filmos, I've found, saying "this model has that feature" is hit and miss, as the parts were easily interchangeable.

#6 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

That's odd. I thought that was the reason for the difference in model numbers; that the 70Dx was built for 100' daylight spools and has the close viewfinder, and the 70Hx has the magazine plate and the wider viewfinder. Is it that the cameras were serviced, rebuilt and relabelled with whatever nameplate was available? Or that the factory was run by dyslexic gnomes?

#7 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:31 PM

Hello,

Can I get instructions for lubricating a filmo? Also, which oil to use?

And is it worth paying $300 to have a bolex lubed?

Thanks!

Steven

#8 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:10 PM

Is it that the cameras were serviced, rebuilt and relabelled with whatever nameplate was available?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That and B&H offered an upgrade program. I know a few 70A's with the 3-lens turret of the 70C, for example.

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

CineTape