Which Arri SR1?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moviespeak

moviespeak
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

Need Help! I have a chance to purchase an Arri SR 1 with the French motor and 6 month warranty. I don't have enough funds for the more expensive SR2 at double the price. Hopefully, I'll be able to buy a super 16 SR2 or 3 in a couple of years which is my ultimate goal. My question is, is the French model a good buy? Or should I avoid it like the plague?

#2 Y.M.Poursohi

Y.M.Poursohi
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:34 AM

The ones with the German motor are better and quieter. But then again a well maintained SR1 with a French motor might be better than a beat up SR1 with a German motor.

But I wouldn't invest in a Regular 16 camera especially an SR1 right now. Try to find one that is already converted to super16. Look for a Super16 SR1 or try to locate an Aaton LTR54 or XTR, they are both Super16. I imagine this is going to be a big investment for you and just like any other investment you have to think about the value of the item in the long term, and if it can bring you money. A Super16 camera will sell better than a Regular 16 AND if people want you to shoot their projects on 16mm film they prefer a super16 set up with which you can do both Regular and Super16. In a few years Reg16 cameras will be extremely cheap, right now you can find a regular 16 Arri SR1 or Aaton LTR7 for less than 5k, that number will be a lot less in 2 years.

So you don't have to avoid a French motor like a plague, but you might want to avoid a Regular16 camera like a plague. It'll cost you to convert and you might have to replace expensive parts.

Good Luck
Yousef

#3 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:53 AM

Yousef is right...

When you invest in a camera you have to think about resell value...
And what you'll be able to get for the camera in five years down the line.

An Arri SR1 with the French Motor is a good camera if well maintained
But the maintainance cost are higher than an SR2 or an German motor SR1
And the camera need more care and maintainance than an SR2.

So you'll probably wind up spending more money to fix it than a better camera
And getting less money when you resell it, than a better camera.

Like Yousef said, A good Aaton LTR54 or XTR is a good investment
And a S16 Arri SR2 is good investment.

The only reason to buy an Arri SR1 is if you're getting a definite bargain.

Let's say they were selling the camera for under $4000US
And it was in perfect running conditions...then it make alot of sense to buy it.
You could shoot some shorts for a few years and make some money...
Then sell if off for almost the same about you brought it.

But if you're spending more than $5000US
I recommend you save your money and buy a better camera.
It doesn't make sense right now but it'll pay off in the long run.

It's all comes down to being a saavy (and sometimes conservative) investor...
Know where to put your money and how much to get out of it and when.

Good Luck

#4 Josh Hill

Josh Hill
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:18 AM

Or an alternate solution:

Buy a cheaper Regular16 camera like a CP16R or an Eclair NPR or ACL. You can get one, sometimes, for under two grand. Put some work into it (Super 16 conversion, PL mount conversion) and have a totally useable super16mm camera for around 5 grand or so.

I got my CP16R for 1400, and should have gone ahead and gotten the S16 conversion from Visual Products (I got it overhauled for 1200, and the Super16 conversion is only 2 grand, the only thing is I don't have an S16 lens and couldn't afford PL mount too). I'm not getting a lot of work, and to be honest, haven't actually had the money to shoot with my camera so it wasn't worth it.

But if you're going to be shooting enough to justify it, a PL mounted S16 CP16R should look just as fine as a S16 SR1 or LTR7/54.

Just something to think about.

Later,

Josh

#5 moviespeak

moviespeak
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

The ones with the German motor are better and quieter.  But then again a well maintained SR1 with a French motor might be better than a beat up SR1 with a German motor.

But I wouldn't invest in a Regular 16 camera especially an SR1 right now.  Try to find one that is already converted to super16.  Look for a Super16 SR1 or try to locate an Aaton LTR54 or XTR, they are both Super16.  I imagine this is going to be a big investment for you and just like any other investment you have to think about the value of the item in the long term, and if it can bring you money.  A Super16 camera will sell better than a Regular 16 AND if people want you to shoot their projects on 16mm film they prefer a super16 set up with which you can do both Regular and Super16.  In a few years Reg16 cameras will be extremely cheap, right now you can find a regular 16 Arri SR1 or Aaton LTR7 for less than 5k, that number will be a lot less in 2 years.

So you don't have to avoid a French motor like a plague, but you might want to avoid a Regular16 camera like a plague.  It'll cost you to convert and you might have to replace expensive parts.

Good Luck
Yousef

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the info. I've found an Aaton XTR S16. Great advice.

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio