Johanan Pandone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Youngstown, OH

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

Hey guys,

I have a BMCC 2.5k in EF mount, so my options for a fast wide are quite limited. i already have the tokina 11-6 and I hate it. I find it so soft on this crop sensor, that I can't open up past 4.0 for a usable image, really 5.6 for decent sharpness. 

I need a fast wide lens for this camera really bad! When shoot on S35/APS-C I rarely use anything wider than a 24mm.  which would be about 15mm on BMCC

Has anyone used the Rokinon 16mm t.2.2 on this camera? How does it perform wide open? What stop do you feel you achieve acceptable sharpness? I have the rokinon 24,35, 85 set and I am really underwhelmed by their performance below 2.8. It's sad, but I usually reach for my slower nikkors in the same focal length because they are sharper at f2 and f2.8 and flare is better controlled than the rokinons. 

I guess I'm hoping that the 16mm will be sharper since it is designed to cover APS-C (not Full-frame) - so I assume I'd be using more of the image circle vs. a full-frame lens. 

Anyone who has experience with both, what do you think? if I have to shoot it a t f4 I might as well stick with the tokina 11-16....

Any other recommendations for a wide lens that can be adapted to EF mount with fast speed (faster than 2.8), acceptable sharpness, and rectilinear?

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2369 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

The cheaper lenses will always have the same problem, they're going to be soft. I know the Rokinon 16 very well and it's not very good. Around F8 it starts to become workable, but the moment you open it up, it becomes soft. I really like the 21 through 85 Rokinon's, they're VERY good for the price and are F1.5. I've run those lenses all the way open and they still look crisp.

It's funny, even my Optar wide angle's get soft when you open them up all the way. I guess it's just a character trait of cheap glass.

#3 Johanan Pandone

Johanan Pandone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Youngstown, OH

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Tyler, thanks for your input. Do you have a reccomendation as an alternative to the rokinon 16?

#4 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2369 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:36 PM

Speed booster and a 21mm?

#5 Johanan Pandone

Johanan Pandone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Youngstown, OH

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

Against your advice, I jumped at the opportunity to snatch up the cine version of the 16mm 2.2 for $175.00 on ebay, and I am quite pleased with it. It performs admirably wide open. Much better than the 24mm.... 

So if anyone one is looking for a lens in this focal length, I would highly recommend the rokinon over the tokina. I'm going to keep an eye out for a deal on the 10mm 3.1 and then I'll be able to write off the tokina completely. Their new 14-20 f2 looks interesting though!

#6 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2369 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:27 PM

Great, glad you like it! I shoot mostly with the BMPCC and it's such a small imager, it's very sensitive to the glass quality. So maybe that's why I didn't care for the quality.

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Visual Products

Pro 8mm

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine