Carman Spoto

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

Hello, I've been working as an AC professionally for about 4 years now, mainly on narratives, music videos, commercials, etc. I might have a chance to be an assistant on a multicam studio show, and I'm curious what the differences between being a 1st AC on mostly single camera productions and being a Camera Utility on one of these network shows. I love 1sting so much and hope it is similar in the ways that I enjoy it.

So for anyone who has done both, or for anyone who has worked as a Studio AC or a Camera Utility (also is there a difference between those?) what are the differences and which did you prefer. Thanks

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

What kind of multi-cam show is it? Reality or narrative? Reality is very different from traditional single camera narrative. The things that are the same are keeping track of media stock, prepping camera bodies, jamming timecode, slating, changing batteries and media, and supporting the camera operators and video engineer. But you will be a much smaller cog in the wheel, you usually aren't needed to pull focus or do anything creative. You'll spend most of your time sitting around waiting away from the action while things are being shot.

You'll have to learn how production want cameras and media labeled. In reality shooting, operators will occasionally switch cameras and expect their camera and media labeling designations to follow. So if you're used to the narrative convention of A Camera and B Camera and all the color-coded accessories remaining firm, you'll be tearing your hair out. Personally, I've done it once or twice and never wanted to go back.

#3 Carman Spoto

Carman Spoto

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:26 PM

Sorry, yeah I should of mentioned, it's still scripted/narrative work.

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Zylight

CineLab