#1 Alexandre de Tolan

Alexandre de Tolan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Sevilla, Spain

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Today handed me over 2 LED fixtures from a Chinese manufacturer to give them a try. When I first put them at work I instantly noticed a visible green shift in them. Picked up my Colormaster 3F and it measured the Led fixtures at 9750K!!!

The meter asked for a +75 Mired shift to color correct it to 5500K and a CC25 Magenta. That's almost a full Minus Green.

I've done a quick photo of my wife and her skin tone was way off. 

Tomorrow I'm going to try it with a half CTS and full minus green and compare results. Lee declares 70% transmission for half CTS and 60% transmission on Minus Green. That's about 1.3 Stops loss on filters alone for a fixture that measured 800 lux at 3 meters on my Sekonic 758 Cine.

The guy who bought them gave 600 USD for 2 units which I find expensive for what they are. But he seems happy with the acquisition.

Edited by Alexandre de Tolan, 13 January 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#2 niulinfeng

niulinfeng
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

which Chinese manufacturer? tell us so that we can avoid it in the future .

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7516 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

this really shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. LED can be MANY things, the good ones aren't even really all that good, and the cheap ones, well, they are what they are in many ways. There is a reason why, for the most part, they aren't super highly used-- though LED and other such technologies (remote phosphor and plasma) are getting some acceptance, but even still, they aren't exactly a choice to make where getting skin-tones right is, well, as important as having a batter-powered, small, light, and cool running fixture is.

Also I bet if you bought another batch of lights from the same company they'd differ in quality from the ones you already have.

Serious Gear

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery