Adam Akopyan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

I know this somewhat of a weird question, but optically is this possible.  I have lately been researching and trying to see if 16 by 9 sensors could in fact be flipped on their side and stretched.  If this was done with a 2x anamorphic lens this would give an almost 1:1 ratio, but if the stretch was more prevalent like a 4.3x stretch, could it produce a similar look to a 2x anamorphic.  Obviously the aesthetic would be different because of the horizontal stretch rather than vertical.  If this is possible, has any manufacturer created one in the past?  

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

16x9 is 1.78 : 1.  Turned sideways with a 2X anamorphic lens, you'd end up with a 2 : 1.78, or 1.12 : 1.  So yes, with a 4X anamorphic squeeze, you'd get a 2.25 : 1 ratio when unsqueezed.

But what's the point?  That's a pretty extreme level of anamorphic compression, so you're risking more distortion, less sharpness, etc.  But also you'd be having to expand your image in post by 4X in one direction to get rid of the squeeze.  So what's the point?

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

OT , I really noticed 'scope mumps for the first time yesterday in a screening of "The Violent Men" (1955) in a medium shot- Dianne Foster (and her horse) suddenly got fatter when she moved to centre frame. Field of view was about 20' wide. I knew about closeups but it hadn't occurred to me that you needed to be careful in a MS.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 23 January 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11233 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:01 AM

I watched Alien yesterday. Oh, the beauty. Oh, the anamorphic artifacts. Oh, the production design. Sob. Wail.

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

The horror, the horror. I assume you're alluding to (insert name of any teal/orange picture from the last 10 years, possibly 20).

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Zylight

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

CineLab

The Slider

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine