robinvarga

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

Hey Graders, hopefully you can help me out with my dilemma. I recently started grading work for a commercial that used a beauty filter for all the setups except one. I believe they used a Tiffen Glimmergas 1/4 filter, with CP2s on a Dragon. I find that the non-filtered image has a "distinct" video feel to it, any suggestions on matching? Cheers!

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

There are Tiffen digital filter plug-ins for some editing software, you could try that.

Otherwise most colorists would do digital diffusion with a overlay of a sharp background layer and either a blurred version of the image, or just a blurred version of the highlights only pulled from a luminance key.

They sometimes will also just try to lower the contrast, lift the blacks, in the faces to soften detail there.  That's a bit more subtle than doing digital diffusion.

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

Here's an example of extreme post diffusion from a web series I shot last year. I'm in the middle of the color grade right now.

03_A001_C011.jpg

03_A001_C011_FILTER.jpg

This is a basic overlay of a duplicate layer on top of the base layer with gaussian blur applied and layer opacity set to screen. We wanted an extreme effect, so the opacity of the out of focus layer is probably around 40%. Also, since this is a global adjustment you'll notice that the dark areas got lifted as well as the midtones and highlights. If I were to compare how this looks to an optical filter, I would say it is most similar to a Schneider Classic Soft rather than a mist-type filter like a Tiffen Glimmerglass. I think a Glimmerglass would spread the highlights more and not have the glow as localized, and also lower a bit more the contrast overall.

#4 robinvarga

robinvarga

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:59 PM

Thank you both very much, will look into your suggestions! And David, loved your work in Jennifer's Body.

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Zylight

CineLab

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post