Photo

Electronics of Aaton Wooden Grip compatible with Moviecam SL?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander Boyd

Alexander Boyd
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Other
  • Europe

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

Hello there,

does anyone happen to know if a 35mm camera, specifically the Moviecam SL, can be triggered with the Aaton Wooden Grip (the ones that came with the XTRs)?

thanks,
Alex

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

I have an older moviecam and LTR, the trigger connectors are totally different. Also, aaton has their own rosette mount, so it won't fit to the camera directly without an adaptor to "Arri" mount. Very strange I know....

#3 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

You could probably have Ray at Kinogrip rewire it and put an Arri rosette on there. He did a LANC to Arri R/S cable for me. Doesn't the Moviecam also use the R/S lemo? 

#4 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hmm... I'll have a look.

#5 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

Ok so mine has a 3 pin LOMO connector for the trigger in the front of the body. It's probably an easy conversion, just need to know the pin outs.

#6 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

The SL should have at least one Arri 24v 3pin Fischer R/S near the base of the camera. There is a secondary accessory power port next to the lens mount which could be any number of things depending on how the camera was ordered from factory. Mine happens to have a second Fischer3, and both will run the camera.

So a standard Arri cable will work, whether from a hand grip, Preston, or Microforce. The problem is that the camera body has a proprietary hot shoe style connector for the handgrip, so if you're using an Arri style grip instead of the original Moviecam grip then you'll have to adapt the hot shoe to Arri rosette or add a rosette elsewhere. Weirdly, the original Moviecam grip comes in three short extension pieces with the first being their hot shoe to rosette, so I don't know why they didn't just put the rosette on the camera in the first place.

#7 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

I don't think the Aaton grip is compatible unless you have a custom cable made. Maybe try Alan at Media Blackout? He advertises here and does good work.

#8 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:08 AM

The Aaton grip has two functions run and single frame. So I assume they run the ground on the outside of the connector and pin 1 is run and pin 2 is single frame. The Arri grip is only start stop, so it's quite different.

#9 Kalle Folke

Kalle Folke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:27 AM

I've had David at http://www.movigrip.commake cables so I can use my Aaton grip to start/stop a Sound Devices Pix240, Ikonoskop A-cam dII and Arri 416. I really recommend his services. He's based in UK.

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Pro 8mm

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Visual Products

The Slider

Zylight

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam