6 replies to this topic

#1 Tim de la Torre

Tim de la Torre

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

I've got some older Colortran studio fresnels that I need to replace the toggle switches on. I replaced one and it promptly melted (see attached picture). Does anybody know what temperature rating or kind of toggle switch I would need so it wouldn't melt? 

One pick is of the new, orange, melted switch. The other pic is of one of the original toggle switches. 

Attached Images

• IMG_0538.jpg
  • IMG_0539.jpg

#2 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

I replaced a toggle switch on a Colortran 1K Baby Fresnel many years ago. Only it wasn't on the unit itself but rather in the cord line.  I got one that was heavy duty all metal from Barbizon Electric in NYC.  It was about $35.  So they're not that cheap but it works great.  You could always put it on the cord and that'll keep the lamp from heating it up.  But I'd use metal anyway.

#3 Tim de la Torre

Tim de la Torre

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

Thanks, that's a good idea. I suppose if I do that, I could just attach/solder/crimp those two wires to each other then and it would be permanently on. Or maybe ceramic wire nuts... I need some high-temperature way to insulate them from shorting on the metal casing. 

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

I suspect for that you'd want to look for one specifically described as for high temperature use.

Of course, it may also have melted through overloading. If it's a 1kW light and the local mains is 120V, the theoretical load is 8.3A. Ideally, find a switch with at least double that rating, for long-term reliability.

I would recommend against crimps or wire nuts. Both will offer considerably higher resistance than a soldered joint, which in itself will create heat. Of course, if it all gets hot enough to melt the solder, you still have a problem. It may be possible to get a switch with screw terminals, which would be a nice approach. I suspect it won't, though. Few switches would stand it.

P

#5 Tim de la Torre

Tim de la Torre

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

They were 15AMP, so I think heat was the problem. I did look for high temp ones but the highest I could find were ones rated up to 85C, which doesn't seem to be high enough for the temperature I imagine is in that unit. 

#6 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

Look on Mcmaster dot com  Should be able to find a switch with a suitable rating.  If you are going to use crimp terminals, you want ones with a high temp rating.

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Plan B: get an in-line switch and thereby keep it outside the hot zone.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Pro 8mm

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio