Photo

Any worthwhile PL lenses to look at under $1000?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

Title says it all. Now that I have a camera I've been looking in to utilizing the mount. Keep in mind, I am not expecting anything close to the quality of a Zeiss or Cooke, only want the functionality (aperture ring, metal casing, etc).

Thanks in advance.

#2 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:00 AM

You can pickup the plastic pl-mount Sony lenses that were bundled with the F3 for only a little more than that. Outside of that you're looking at ancient glass that won't necessarily match anything else.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:13 AM

PL and EF are a pain. The minimum spend to get anything like a reasonable set of lenses in PL mount is many thousands, although to be fair, even that has massively fallen away recently.

You can get perfectly reasonable cine-modified stills lenses for less money.

P

#4 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:33 AM

You can get perfectly reasonable cine-modified stills lenses for less money.

P

Could I get a few examples or links to those please?

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

It's the sort of thing that TLS do - but not, generally, in PL mount. I guess it may be possible to remount some types.

#6 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other
  • Right on the edge in London

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

a Zeiss or Cooke, only want the functionality (aperture ring, metal casing, etc).

Sounds like you have it back to front. It's the physical aspects of the high end lenses that make them cost so much, not the glass so much as the mechanics. Things like smooth focus with long throws etc.

Other than that you can get stills lenses with nice glass but cheap housings, although metal casings shouldn't be hard to find.

What is it that you want to achieve?

Freya

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other
  • Right on the edge in London

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

It's the sort of thing that TLS do - but not, generally, in PL mount. I guess it may be possible to remount some types.

Duclos in the states.

There are some stills lenses that get rehoused a lot like that 11-16mm zoom (can't remember the name off hand) and that Sigma 18-35 at f1.8.

Freya

#8 Oron Cohen

Oron Cohen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel-Aviv/London

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

What camera do you have? some PL lenses are not meant for film cameras. 

You can get LOMO PL lenses, many of my friends thats started out in the rental business started out with a set of LOMO's, if you can add more money you can get a cheap zoom lens like the RED 17-50 for 3.5K or Sigma 18-35 rehoused by GL optics for about the same. 

You could also try and find the v1 Sony PL lenses that where made for the F3, they go very cheap. 

I like the LOMO's as they have a vintage look, so you even if later on you move to modern looking glass, it's always nice to keep when you want the soft, vintage look with some breathing and flaring. 

#9 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

The Sony lenses are so big that they won't clear the viewfinder on most film cameras. 

#10 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

what sensor size do you use, I have a Foton 37-140 T4.4 with switchable PL and EF mounts and rafcamera follow focus gear which I could sell (have two of them at the moment) . creates a bit of chromatic aberration (thus I asked the sensor size) but otherwise reasonably good lens for the price. if you're interested I can pm you samples :) 

if you are looking for telephoto lenses you there is couple of Pentacon Six (zeiss jena) lenses you could look, at least the 80mm, 120mm and 180mm. Ef mount adapter for them is very cheap and PL mount adapter is quite affordable, you can use it as a intermediate mount. stop down 2 stops or more and they're very good lenses if the mechanics are ok :)

#11 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

what sensor size do you use, I have a Foton 37-140 T4.4 with switchable PL and EF mounts and rafcamera follow focus gear which I could sell (have two of them at the moment) . creates a bit of chromatic aberration (thus I asked the sensor size) but otherwise reasonably good lens for the price. if you're interested I can pm you samples :)

Sensor is Super35. And yes please send over some samples of the Foton lens. If possible, could you give side-by-sides of the Foton up against a more modern lens? Thanks for the help.

#12 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

Sensor is Super35. And yes please send over some samples of the Foton lens. If possible, could you give side-by-sides of the Foton up against a more modern lens? Thanks for the help.

great! I can loan a BMPC 4k for the weekend and test it against Nikkor ai-s and zeiss jena lenses. nikkors have approximately the same look than the modern Nikon lenses

#13 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:44 AM

I uploaded couple of Lomo Foton tests to youtube in uhd if someone is interested: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=iK_TGxAn-JQ

#14 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

Anyone here selling one of those? lol

Glidecam

Abel Cine