No replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11220 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

Hi folks

So, here we have a shot from one of my guiltiest pleasures, the 1991 film Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead. An early David Duchovny, and Christina Applegate, a woman within the Laplace limit of a perfect 10. Hilaritastic, eh? 

dtmbsd.jpg

Being aware that the film is set in Los Angeles, it only took about thirty seconds of diligent googling to identify the location as the 110 freeway as it passes through the downtown area, with the foreground showing the area just southwest of its junction with 101. This shot was taken at least 26 years ago, but most of the main buildings remain.

The shot is used as an establisher for a character going out to her first day at an intimidating new job and the idea clearly is to pack all the buildings together and make everything look big and corporate. It actually makes the place look more packed with skyscrapers than it really is, in my recollection, but that's clearly the idea. #

I'm trying to work out where the camera was; it isn't moving and I don't think it's a helicopter. Idea one is that it was taken from the roof of this building:

dtmbsd2.jpg

This feels about right, given the way we're looking down at the road itself but up at the buildings. It's about half the height of the "...bank" tower at the left.

Or am I misreading this, and it was a much, much longer lens, taken from up on a hill somewhere much more distant? There's no atmospheric shimmer.

An angle-able map of the area is here.

P

Willys Widgets

Zylight

The Slider

Technodolly

Pro 8mm

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks