#1 Lars.Erik

Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:38 PM

Hey there. Just wanted a insight of how the unions around in the U.K., U.S. and other places work. Here in Norway we don't have one for television. Which results in people getting underpaid and not getting paid for hours of overtime. We have one for film and actors.

I know that some people here have started trying to get tv-people to join in and get organized. Which is a good thing. I know we all should be in the union, I believe both producers as well as workers will get benefits from this, but people are afraid of being put on "the black list", which means no job calls. I think tv-people in the U.K. have been organized for around 15 years now.

My question I guess, did the ones who organized get put on the black list or what happened back then?

Edited by Lars.Erik, 01 June 2005 - 01:39 PM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

Just like features, there is a mix of union and smaller non-union TV production in Los Angeles. Most technicians would be under IATSE, although some are under NABET. Some of the smaller series made for cable channels have been non-union.

I'm not sure of the history, but considering how many Hollywood studio cameramen transitioned into TV shooting in the 1950's & 1960's, I suspect that a lot of TV production has always been union in Los Angeles. In other words, the origins would be earlier in history.

For example:

http://www.nabetcwa....Us&articleID=36

History of NABET-CWA

The formation of the Union that would become NABET was begun in 1934, when the ATE, (Association of Technical Employees) began representing employees in Television, Radio, Film and Production. Originally the employees represented worked for the "Red" and "Blue" networks, which later became ABC and NBC, respectively.

---

IATSE was formed in 1886, Local One, by theaterical workers in New York City.

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Opal

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc