Artyom Zakharenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, Amsterdam, Moscow

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

Hi everyone

Im trying to export a project i graded in Davinci to single Quicktime Prores422 files. When i open the exported files in Quicktime i notice a huge gamma shift and a greenish shade, looks completely different from what i did in Davinci. I know for sure it has nothing to do with monitor calibration, because i only have 1 monitor.  I've checked out some forums but no clear answers there. Is anyone familiar to this problem and if so what to do?

Shot on F55 in XAVC. A friend of mine said it has to do with the source footage which has a higher bitrate, but i couldnt find confirmation on that info on the internet.

See screenshot below. Upper image is what i intended to do, the one below shows the actual export.

Attached Images

• ttttt.jpg

Edited by Artyom Zakharenko, 24 February 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Don't open files in Quicktime, use something like VLC player. There can be a gamma shift with QuickTime. Also, check that you exported Video Levels and not Data Levels from Resolve.

#3 Stefano Stroppa

Stefano Stroppa
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

I'm not an expert in DaVinci, I'm still learning a lot, but I know I had a very similar problem last year, when the my actual export looked mikly and with a gamma shift. I was kind of frustrated.

It's a problem with your video and data levels. Did you grade setting your levels on Data or Video? and you exported with which setting? 

#4 Justin Levine

Justin Levine

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

This drove me crazy for months! Change your color profile in system preferences -> displays to srgb. This should fix the issue with the way it is displaying your file. Quicktime does not have color management built in so it will most always show up different than the intended color space. 

#5 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

Hi everyone

Im trying to export a project i graded in Davinci to single Quicktime Prores422 files. When i open the exported files in Quicktime i notice a huge gamma shift and a greenish shade, looks completely different from what i did in Davinci. I know for sure it has nothing to do with monitor calibration, because i only have 1 monitor.  I've checked out some forums but no clear answers there. Is anyone familiar to this problem and if so what to do?

Shot on F55 in XAVC. A friend of mine said it has to do with the source footage which has a higher bitrate, but i couldnt find confirmation on that info on the internet.

See screenshot below. Upper image is what i intended to do, the one below shows the actual export.

Even when all settings are correct, the QT player usually shows a false representation. So it's not a good application for screening films correctly unfortunately.

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Pro 8mm

CineTape

Technodolly