I'm new to super 8 please help me haha

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny

Kenny
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

Hi i make bodyboarding dvd's and i'm keen as to get right into super 8. I just bought a Braun Nizo 801 which i'll be getting in about a week. I got a Eumig 604 projector today and got my first roll of super 8 working yewwww.

Now i'm pretty sure the projector isn't a variable speed one, the footage is a bit flickery. How do i get ride of the flicker? Will my bruan nizo stop the flickering, or is it my projector? or is it how i filmed it onto my digital video cam (Sony PD170)? I tryed filming it with a 50 sutter speed and a 25 sutter speed.

Thanks any help will be much appreciated!!!!

#2 Kenny

Kenny
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:04 AM

If i film at 24fps and get a new projector that can project at 24fps, will this stop the flickering??

#3 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:04 AM

If i film at 24fps and get a new projector that can project at 24fps, will this stop the flickering??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must use a projector with variable speed. Setting it to about 20 fps will cut back the flicker. However this method will typically leave you with a poor quality transfer - washed out and soft looking. Speed will also be a bit off.

When you are ready to do a good transfer, I suggest you try ranking it on a professional telecine. Excellent results at a good rate may be found here: www.spectrafilmandvideo.com

You should balance the cost of upgrading to a variable speed projector, quality loss and time spent against having it done someplace.

#4 Kenny

Kenny
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:28 AM

You must use a projector with variable speed. Setting it to about 20 fps will cut back the flicker. However this method will typically leave you with a poor quality transfer - washed out and soft looking. Speed will also be a bit off.

If i film footage at 24fps and project it at 24fps, not 20 will the speed be out?

The cost of upgrading is minimum as i'm selling the projector i just bought to a mate.

#5 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

To transfer at 20 fps you need a 3-bladed shutter (and variable speed to get the 18fps speed up to 20).

To transfer at 24fps you need a 5-bladed shutter in the film projector if using a 29.92 interlaced video camera. Alternately, if you have a 24p video camera you can transfer 24fps with the 3-bladed shutter.

Rick

#6 Kenny

Kenny
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:40 PM

To transfer at 20 fps you need a 3-bladed shutter (and variable speed to get the 18fps speed up to 20).

To transfer at 24fps you need a 5-bladed shutter in the film projector if using a 29.92 interlaced video camera. Alternately, if you have a 24p video camera you can transfer 24fps with the 3-bladed shutter.

Rick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok what is a 3 bladed or 5 bladded shutter? i have a pal video cam, 25pfs. My mate is getting a camera that can film 24p, so if i use that and film my super 8 in 24fps will that get rid of the flicker????

#7 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

ok what is a 3 bladed or 5 bladded shutter? i have a pal video cam, 25pfs. My mate is getting a camera that can film 24p, so if i use that and film my super 8 in 24fps will that get rid of the flicker????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3-bladed/5-bladed shutter is the number of blades on the shutter wheel in the projector.

Re: PAL video camera, I am not sure. Ideally you'd have a projector that also ran at 25fps, which would match the video cam. If the film originates at 24, that slight speed increase to 25 would not be noticeable. Not sure of the odds of a projector that runs at 25fps.

Wish I could be more help.

Rick

#8 Kenny

Kenny
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:25 AM

3-bladed/5-bladed shutter is the number of blades on the shutter wheel in the projector.

Re: PAL video camera, I am not sure. Ideally you'd have a projector that also ran at 25fps, which would match the video cam. If the film originates at 24, that slight speed increase to 25 would not be noticeable. Not sure of the odds of a projector that runs at 25fps.

Wish I could be more help.

Rick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok cool thanks for the help mate

#9 DSeivwright

DSeivwright

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other
  • Scotland

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:03 AM

Hey Kenny,
you could try using this free anti-flicker filter that runs in virtualdub. http://neuron2.net/flick.html. If you have a look at the examples on this page you'll see for yourself how good a job they do and is a good temporary fix.

I think the quality vs cost for this type of transfer is just not worth it and your money would be better spent on a professional transfer if your publishing a dvd.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dave.

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Opal