Photo

Expert Sound Advice Wanted For Next Film.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Other
  • St. Francisville, Louisiana

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

I will try and make this brief so I will not bore you.  I shot a feature film a year or two ago and it went well, but I need to improve my sound.  I self funded the film.  No paid crew or no paid actors.  I shot it on Super 16mm.  Despite the limitations, the film went great and I plan to do another one.  

In my film, I had one sound person.  My wife.  lol.   She is an RN by trade, but we have studied quite a bit on mic placement and positioning, so I don't want to replace my free labor.   

I use a boom mic throughout the whole film.  These are my 3 components.  

1) Audio Technica AT875R Line & Gradient CondenserMicrophone.

2) Sound Devices MM-1 Single Channel Portable Microphone Preamp.

3) Zoom H4N Handy Reconder.

That is my setup.  Mic on Boom Pole > Preamp > H4N.  Then I download my wave files from the H4N onto computer and I edit in FCP.

My questions/concerns.  I want to improve sound for next film, but I can't scratch and start over with a whole new sound set-up.  Keep my micro budget in mind.  If these 3 components are good? Then what should I have my preamp settings on?  Should I replace one of these components?  If so, what? And what should I get?  Not sure if I can replace two components due to $$.  I realize I need improvement but just lack the funds to go all out.  I could and would definitely drop a few hundred if need be to get the most out of the above setup.  Any advice wanted.  Thank-you.  Eric.   

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

Usually actors are wearing wires and are boomed. I would get a better mixer. Record at 48/24 bwav minimum. If you can, get a second person to work with your wife.

#3 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:58 PM

Could you link a scene of the film so I can see how exactly the sound falls flat?

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4743 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:55 AM

Sound in film is built up in tracks in post. You want clean dialogue, then you put together each effects track: room atmos, spot effects, footsteps etc one by one. Be selective in how each effect sounds, so that it matches the mood required. It takes time to do this, but with modern software there is no reason why you can't have a rich sound track on a low budget film.

There are a number of books on the subject, read Walter Murch on how he uses sound.

This may help:

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 23 March 2016 - 03:03 AM.

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Pro 8mm

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies