New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Milan

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

Hi everybody,

sorry for my bad english but I'm italian guy, I hope you understand.

I have some questions on these two reference

I have an my idea but I would to be sure and I ask for your experience.

Frame 01

reference-01.jpg

What kind and how many lights should I use for this shot?

How I can do that "cyan effect" on background?

What is the best white balance setting in camera?

Frame 02

Reference-02.jpg

How many lights should I use for this shot?

In your opinion, there is a "real flare" or it is made in post-production?

Thanks a lot

F.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

Hard to say how many lights. In the first frame, it appears that there is either a large HMI or actual sunlight coming through the back window on camera right. It is blue because the camera is white balanced closer to 3200K. Probably around 3800K or so. The green tint was probably added in grading, but you could also dial in green tint in-camera if you wanted to do it on set.

There could be additional daylight sources outside the frosted back windows, or that could be ambient daylight. There appears to be a smaller hard daylight source used as an edge light on the subject up high on camera right. You can see the beam in the smoke.

In the foreground, there is a soft tungsten key on camera right and possibly a spottier tungsten source directly over the table to emulate the table bounce from the practical lamp on the table. And then of course the tungsten practical itself. I don't think the practical itself is actually lighting the table because of the way it is angled.

In the second frame, I'm pretty sure it is simply backlit by one of the windows and a bit from the tungsten practical lamp. Because the bulb is so reflective, you would see any light sources in the surface of the glass if something else was used. The flare appears to be real, this is shot with anamorphic lenses which tend to flare much easier than modern spherical lenses. We call this type of flare 'veiling glare.'

The source could be a small tungsten source from down low and off to camera right. I think it is something like a spotted Dedo aimed at the lens from far back because there is no reflection of the source in the bulb, as there would be for something closer to the camera.

#3 Francesco Andreoli

Francesco Andreoli

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Milan

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

Thank you so much Satsuki,

your answer is very professional and complete; now I have less doubt on how to light these shot and will test your advices.

#4 Ben Brahem Ziryab

Ben Brahem Ziryab
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

The source could be a small tungsten source from down low and off to camera right. I think it is something like a spotted Dedo aimed at the lens from far back because there is no reflection of the source in the bulb, as there would be for something closer to the camera.

Could it not be that the reflection is in fact the tungsten light source, but is stretched out by the anamorphic lens? The intensity of the spectacular highlight suggests that the light source is fairly large, but at a distance away from the bulb. If the light source was aimed directly at the camera, it should appear differently.

#5 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:46 PM

Sure, anything is possible. You'd have to experiment if you were trying to reproduce the effect.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: light, diagram, reference, wb, cyan

Rig Wheels Passport

Zylight

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks