John Christopher Vicera Geronilla

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:49 PM

Love this forum; plenty of knowledgeable people.

I have a couple questions.

A. Camera A recently broke down after working for a few months.

Arri SR2 w/ Cinematography Electronics module

There's a loud high pitch noise when I run the camera at any frame rate. Sometimes it goes away. Now it stays on.

Based on the CE website, the crystal sync seems to be off. Anything I can do electronically/quickly before I have to send it out to CE for repair? If it's something loose, etc...

I'd love to get this one up and running. I modified the gate for ultra 16mm and it worked really well when it didn't have that noise.

B. I have a backup camera

Arri SR2 from Eastern Europe. Supposedly super 16mm

I never actually used it yet because the PL mount is so weird. When I keep the nut in, the locking mechanism is really tough.

When I take the nut off, the lens sits really loose.

Pictures attached. This is not a PV mount right?

I also attached a picture of the gate. Are you guys able to identify if it's a super 16mm gate?

If all else fails, I might just take off the PL mount from camera A and replace the one in camera B.

IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1537.JPG

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

Is the speed module removable, or is it built into the camera?

Can you shoot a video of what the noise sounds like, especially in relationship to the frame rate, so we can hear if the noise changes with the speed of the camera?

The bottom camera is Super 16 for sure. Though both cameras look neglected, with the wrong screws in the image... which is very strange, a mix of phillips and straight edge? Yuck!

#3 John Christopher Vicera Geronilla

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Both pictures are actually from camera B.

Here's the video of camera A w/ the sound at various framerate: https://www.icloud.c...#B04GI9HKK68lCQ

I'm sure the module is removable. I opened it once upon a time, but there was some wiring I wasn't familiar with. I had Clairmont Camera calibrate focus and make sure everything was running so I haven't opened up the camera since.

#4 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

Yea, well that's a good sign for sure. There maybe a noise maker in the electronics for some reason. But I would agree that the electronics are probably the issue. If you pull it off, I'm pretty sure there is a connector you can unplug and see if the camera will still run and if the noise goes away.

#5 John Christopher Vicera Geronilla

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

NICE!

Thanks Tyler! I should have thought about that one. https://www.icloud.c...E3-11A1DF0EDEE0

I took the plating off and just disabled the noise maker.

I did a test before and sent film off to Cinelab and it seemed to be in crystal sync. I did a dialogue recording, 400 ft worth.

I think I'll keep the camera as is now.

#6 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

The gate on that second one looks way wider than S16

#7 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

The noise is an out of sync warning, so either the speed control is faulty or the camera is not running to sync. It sounded pretty noisy at 24 fps even without the beep. Does the camera turn over manually all right? Too much drag and the unit can have trouble keeping sync.

With the B cam mount, what do you mean by "nut"? If you mean the little locating screw next to the "2" it can sometimes be a little oversize for the cutout in the lens flange. Might need to be removed and filed down a fraction. The mount is a proper Arri one from the look of it, set to Super 16 as the "2" is top right. Haven't seen those lock ring handles before though. The screws look pretty rough, make sure none are protruding up over the lens seating surface. The burrs are a giveaway that someone less than careful has been at it. Also, are those file marks around the screw heads? If so, then a real butcher has had a go at it. If the screw heads were too tall you replace the screws or turn the screw heads down a bit by themselves, you don't file the crucial lens seating surface! Even scarier is the thought that the filing was done with the mount attached to the camera, allowing filings to fall into the movement.

The gate is S16, it just looks a little out of proportion because of the angle I think. Not sure if it's the poor photo quality but the conversion machining doesn't look great. Could just be reflections off burnished surfaces, though if the same person who filed the mount did the conversion then the whole camera probably needs to be overhauled (or retired).

#8 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

The noise is an out of sync warning, so either the speed control is faulty or the camera is not running to sync. It sounded pretty noisy at 24 fps even without the beep. Does the camera turn over manually all right? Too much drag and the unit can have trouble keeping sync.

Isn't suppose to throw a red light when out of sync?

I just serviced an SRI yesterday that made identical noise with no film in the magazine. It's just the plastic drive gears for the magazine.

#9 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

Been a long time, but isn't the light a battery indicator?

Yes they can certainly run noisier without a load on the drive gear, that sounded a bit grindy or something though. At any rate, it's always worth checking that the camera turns over manually all right.

#10 John Christopher Vicera Geronilla

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

The light (green -> Red) is a battery indicator. And yes, you're right Dom. w/ these CE modules, the beeping noise means off sync. I just happened to have sent a reel off to the lab and I had it developed w/ extended dialogue takes, and it seems to have stayed in sync. I thought it may just be a problem w/ the noise maker because when I shook the camera, the noise went in and out. I just dislodged that specific component on the CE board.

It might be the proximity of my phone, but I do hear something a grind though; but it's similar in volume to another camera I referenced it with. Nothing a couple jackets can't fix.

If by turning over manually, you mean the silver handle on the left that I can turn frame by frame, then it seems to turn over smoothly.

As to camera b, yeah it's a rough one. That's why I was happy to turn off the off-sync noise with cam A. Will have to run another test to check everything is ok.

On an unrelated note:

I have a few 100 ft rolls that I wanted to shoot with the SR. But they make such a racket. Metal on metal. The film seems to squeak against the reel as it turns.

I had no problems w/ my 400 ft. I don't think it's supposed to be like that right?

#11 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

Maybe the film shifted on the core? Even if it's off a tiny bit, it will make rubbing noise.

No, it's not "suppose" to make any noise, but they tend to no matter what you do.

I have the same problems with the Aaton's sometimes as well.

#12 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1514 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:40 PM

John,

Metal 100' spools?  Using old spools on the take up side? The spool sides can get slightly bent or out of parrallel so the film scrapes the spool every revolution.  You could use cores for the takeup.  Or is the noise coming from the feed spool?

#13 John Christopher Vicera Geronilla

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:43 PM

John,

Metal 100' spools?  Using old spools on the take up side? The spool sides can get slightly bent or out of parrallel so the film scrapes the spool every revolution.  You could use cores for the takeup.  Or is the noise coming from the feed spool?

It does sound like film scraping the spool at every revolution on the feed side. Weird because they're new film stock.

I don't even use a spool in the take-up side. Just the same core I would use for the 400'

#14 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

Yea, daylight spools don't work good in the SR.

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Pro 8mm

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

The Slider