Jesse Frank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Alabama, United States

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hello everyone,

I tried posting this topic to the Steadicam section of this forum, but was unable to for some reason.

Anyway, I like to use a GH4 on a Steadicam flyer a lot.  But right now I can't use the monitor that came with the Steadicam.  The GH4 has a weird HDMI port that doesn't seem to be compatible with a lot of HD monitors.  

Please note that as of right now, the monitor I have on the Steadicam takes an AV signal.  The reason why I still use this monitor is because I also fly a 5D Mk III on the Steadicam, and the 5D has an AV port.

Does anyone know of an HD monitor and cable that would be compatible with both the 5D and the GH4?

Thanks,

Jesse

#2 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

have you tried switching the hdmi output format, the gh4 can output different signals and probably a monitor can show at least one of them. progressive/interlaced etc. and that "smart hdmi" function also did something, don't remember what it's called but it is meant to communicate with Panasonic televisions

#3 Jesse Frank

Jesse Frank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Alabama, United States

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

I will have to look it up, I did not know that the GH4 was capable of that.  It's mostly the physical connection I'm concerned with.  

The 5D MKIII has a mini HDMI output, and a Video Out terminal.  The Video Out terminal is what I use to connect the 5D to the Steadicam monitor.

The GH4 has a micro HDMI output.  I know that there are adapters for these kinds of things, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a particular adapter brand that worked.  

I've got a flysight Black Pearl monitor that I use with my phantom 2, and it takes a full size hdmi cable.  I was hoping to use that, but the port sticks out on the side.  I'm afraid that while operating the Steadicam I'll turn too much and snap the cable off.    

#4 Hal Long

Hal Long

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

While the micro HDMI on the GH4 is fragile and prone to damage, the camera can and should be able to output an HDMI signal compatible with most monitors.   I've had great luck with several varieties of Small HD as well as the Odyssey 7q and 7Q+.  Keep in mind that on the Odysseys, HDMI usually goes to input 1 for multistream. 

I also love the GH4 for its versatility.  I think it wins in the DSLR for acceptable skew.  Color and dynamic range are good, though not best in class.   I use it all the time on gimbal and as a crash & insert cam for Dragon & F55. 

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineLab

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Visual Products