4 replies to this topic

#1 Stewart McLain

Stewart McLain
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

So I recently picked up a Bolex 551 that has a broken battery holder.  I'm wondering if either someone here has a spare holder from a similar model that I could purchase or if anyone has some suggestions on how to power it.  I was able to test it with the holder from another Bolex so I know that it works but I don't have access to that holder anymore.

I picked up a 6AA holder from a hobby shop with the thought that I might solder the leads to the contacts inside the camera which are in the handle.   Unfortunately the holder is slightly too big to allow the handle latch to close.  I was thinking maybe I could stick the holder on the outside of the camera but the handle is made of plastic so I'm reticent to try drilling a hole through it the feed the wires through.   

Has anyone tried something like this?  My other thought is that 6AA batteries produce 9 volts so maybe I could buy a holder for a single 9v battery which might have a better chance of fitting inside the handle.  Might that work?  Is there any reason not to try that?  

Sorry for a lengthy post on what is kind of a dull subject but any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

#2 Seth C King

Seth C King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Other
  • Kingston Springs, TN

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

With regards to the 9 volt battery solution, you won't have the same mAh capacity as the AA batts so much shorter run times. I don't know the exact number on a 9 volt but I think it's somewhere around 750, maybe less.

#3 Stewart McLain

Stewart McLain
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

Good to know.  Thank you, Seth.

#4 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:23 AM

Try a set of AAA.  The modern AAA have more capacity than the AA from the time of the design of the camera.  You could even consider a set of rechargables. Voltage is slightly lower then.

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2902 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:54 AM

This should do.

http://www.ebay.co.u...agAAOxyf1dTJI4J

If you stick with AAs and are not fussy about aesthetics you could just hold it in with gaffer tape.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 14 March 2016 - 05:56 AM.

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Serious Gear

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

CineLab

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Ritter Battery