#1 Jan Tore Soerensen

Jan Tore Soerensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Director
  • Norway

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

I have been picking my sound effects from different sources on the internet, but I was wondering what the usual sources are for the industry? 

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

I tend to use Pond5 and Audio Jungle, but I can't claim any knowledge of what's used on big movies.

#3 Jan Tore Soerensen

Jan Tore Soerensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Director
  • Norway

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

I tend to use Pond5 and Audio Jungle, but I can't claim any knowledge of what's used on big movies.

Thank you.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

Most sound mixing studios build their own sound libraries and draw from there. Skywalker Sound for example has a huge collection that is growing continuously. I know a lot of mixers build their own personal libraries as well. I haven't gone off and recorded my own sound effects since film school but I remember it being a lot of fun. I worked on an interview with Ben Burtt a few years ago where he said he still does this while on vacation with his family.

#5 Jan Tore Soerensen

Jan Tore Soerensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Director
  • Norway

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

Most sound mixing studios build their own sound libraries and draw from there. Skywalker Sound for example has a huge collection that is growing continuously. I know a lot of mixers build their own personal libraries as well. I haven't gone off and recorded my own sound effects since film school but I remember it being a lot of fun. I worked on an interview with Ben Burtt a few years ago where he said he still does this while on vacation with his family.

Ha, thats clever! I best get me a decent recorder then. And there is always websites like sounddogs etc.

#6 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

Are you speaking in terms of foley sounds or sci-fi/explosion stuff? I've accumulated thousands and thousands of sounds via recording and meeting sound engineers with their own sources. If you want I could add you on Skype and give you some via file transfer.

#7 Jan Tore Soerensen

Jan Tore Soerensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Director
  • Norway

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Are you speaking in terms of foley sounds or sci-fi/explosion stuff? I've accumulated thousands and thousands of sounds via recording and meeting sound engineers with their own sources. If you want I could add you on Skype and give you some via file transfer.

Yeah, foley sounds. Wow, that would be great! Ill PM you!

#8 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

In my opinion, the best source for production music is www.musicloops.com. They provide an unlimited use license for a low fee of around $20-$100 a song. You can literally use the song anyway you want, in however many projects you want, in whatever medium and with whatever audience. They curate music from hundreds of very good composers, and they have a long list of really good 'cinematic' and 'fantasy' and 'horror' tracks.

For sound effects, I primary choose Foley when I need something that is not available at www.freesound.org, though I also subscribe to audioblocks.com for misc music and sfx, thought their library is pretty limited in quality items.

I do not use audio jungle, nor premium beat, because both have rather unfriendly license terms, requiring expensive $200 or more licenses for some types of releases, and only allowing you to use what you purchased in one end product. If you're looking to build a stock music library, Smartsound has some okay (though general generic sounding tracks).

As most have said above, the 'industry' probably tends to build their own libraries for sound effects, racking up tracks and tracks of different foley sounds and things from the vast number of projects they do. Music is usually created for each movie rather than recycled. 

Edited by Landon D. Parks, 25 April 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#9 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:03 AM

I know a lot of mixers build their own personal libraries as well. I haven't gone off and recorded my own sound effects since film school but I remember it being a lot of fun.

Without question.  I took a class in grad school where we had to re-record the foley for two scenes, but also give them our own style.  I chose Blade Runner for my mid-term & 8 1/2 for my final.  I know very little about sound as it is and that class gave me a true appreciation of just how precise (and exhausting) an art foley sound is. 

But it was also a lot of fun.  My teacher had her own online library and I was planning on starting my own but never got around to it.  So I would say just be creative and start recording things from scratch.  You'll have way more fun & control that way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sound effects, industry

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport