#1 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:49 PM

Do you need a Super 16 projector to project Super 16? I understand that Super 16 was mainly meant for 35mm blow up. So would I have a problem shooting Super 16 and getting a singl-perf workprint to project with my Bell & Howell Filmosound projector?

#2 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:44 PM

No problem with your work print being single perf - that's the only sort there is.

Not sure if your projector can screen the full width of a super 16 frame. You will need to replace the gate mask with a super-16 one - but not all projectors have a light path available for that extrra width, with or without the mask.

And while there are many labs who can and will still process 16mm (and S16 of course), gettng a work print from it may be something of a rarity these days. Their turnaround time might not be what it was a few years ago when 16mm dailies were commonplace.

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:49 AM

Summit Film Lab here in Pittsburgh makes me work prints any Thursday or Friday. Andec in Germany used to take a little longer, shipping you know, but that was while I was in the UK.
Summit said they could make sound prints from my A600 Optical SOF outfit so they are doing S16 already. 3:4 fits inside the same gate.
Bell & Howell gates should be able to be filed wider, the lens is sooooo big anyway it would be alright. There are 6 in my basement to play with.
If not, just project the work print as is.
Pittsburgh Filmmakers School may tell if the proper tech was asked. They may have already modified a projector or two.

Michael Carter

#4 Theo Lipfert

Theo Lipfert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:20 AM

Colorlab can make a blow-down from S16 to 16. Here is some info from their website:

http://www.colorlab....ces/blowup.html

Has anyone done this?

--Theo
Bozeman, MT

#5 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

Colorlab can make a blow-down from S16 to 16. Here is some info from their website:

http://www.colorlab....ces/blowup.html

Has anyone done this?

--Theo
Bozeman, MT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The process at ColorLab is expensive, as it involves making an IP and IN first before getting to any print (WP or RP). However, Metropolis will make one directly from original neg. This is more costly than work print though, better to spend a little time and money in order to modify a standard 16mm projector > s16.

Alain

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Technodolly