New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

Hi everybody,

I have some Velvia 50D I got from Spectra awhile back. I was wondering how this film speed will read on my Canon 310XL? I know the Canon only reads daylight film at 25, 100, and 160ASA. So, any ideas on how to make this work for best exposure? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

So it will either read at 25 or 100 daylight, neither of which would be bad. It uses the little tabs system of reading the cartridge notch. Since the notch is either 40 or 64 I believe it will not be wide enough to read as 100 so it will likely read as 25. You will over expose by a stop which isn't all that bad. Your image will be less vibrant and highlights slightly washed out but it will be easier to scan than slightly under exposing. When I have Velvia I plan to project I like to be spot on or under to get that nice colorful and contrasty image. But when I have to scan, being slightly over and washed out which can be corrected in post makes it easier to scan all the detail. Does that help?

Dave

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:12 AM

I have to disagree. 1 stop overexposure for reversal is disastrous.

IIRC the 310XL has an external meter window, so you make sure the camera reads for 100D (by adjusting the cartridge http://super8wiki.co...hp/Canon_310_XL ) and put a piece of ND3 gel over the window.

#4 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

1 stop is disastrous?  Seems a bit extreme.  One stop under would be perfect but very hard to get good detail out of in a scan.  If there was a multiflash HDR system out there that did Super 8, that could be fixed.  But, unfortunately there isn't that I am ware of.  Only 16mm and larger.  Even correctly exposed Velvia 50D is very hard to get all the shadow detail out of on any scanner I know of.

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Zylight

CineTape

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Pro 8mm