Marcus Allemann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Berlin

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

Heya team,

I'm about to go in on a job as a Data Wrangler and it's been long enough for me in between wrangling to lose touch with a reasonable estimate of calculating ROUGHLY what sizes of storage space I should be looking at considering the following:

- TV series (53 shooting days)

- 1 camera shoot

- Alexa shooting ProRes 4444 2k on SxS cards (64gb and 32gb) (standard drama, nothing particularly excessive frame rate wise)

I'm fighting to get a more exact idea but no one can get back to me with a shooting ratio, script length or any other idea aside from what I know above.

SO, I'd be keen to hear if there are any estimates out there from people with a better memory/ more experience than me.

otherwise, would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction of some resources that have a method for working out a vague calculation based on those bare essentials. Is there a rule of thumb? 

cheers

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12369 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:31 PM

You need a rough idea of what they expect to shoot, or you're nowhere. You could guess something, but you'd be on very thin ice unless you built in a truly massive safety factor, and even then you could find yourself working under Mr Seven Hours a Day and end up in serious trouble.

ProRes 4444 runs fractionally under 300Mbps, or a bit more than 130GB an hour. Beyond that, it's just multiplication. With a single LTO deck, assuming reasonable supporting gear, you could theoretically keep up with several hours a day, but you need some wiggle room.

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

Use the AJA Data Calculator app: https://www.aja.com/en/family/software

It's the fourth item down from the top. I don't know how you can possibly be expected to estimate the daily byte count without a daily page count or expected shooting ratio.
Maybe the production company has produced a comparable show recently that you can use as a template?

#4 Marcus Allemann

Marcus Allemann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Berlin

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:08 AM

Assuming I can get my hands on scripts, isn't there a formula used to calculate the number of pages into an amount of material? 

I seem to remember something from my loader days on film like that. Then as long as I can hypothesise a shooting ratio it would give me something in the ballpark.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5331 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:09 AM

Usually a script roughly works out at around a minute per page. However, on TV series, the scripts can be over length, script editors claim 5%, but it can be 10% to 15% over length according a film editor friend working on UK television dramas..

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12369 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:12 AM

isn't there a formula used to calculate the number of pages into an amount of material?

Sort of, maybe, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Some people shoot a lot more coverage than others.

It's one of those things where everyone seems to think their approach is standard.

P

#7 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

Well approximate shooting ratios are always going to be a more accurate way to plot out your data needs. However, without that, I'd work off the fact that on a single camera narrative shoot, when the cast and crew are on fire, and you're smashing out scenes - you might just get two hours of material recorded on a single day. So I'd plan around that two hours/day figure lacking better info.

Odds are you'll be over-catered for with that much space on most days, but better safe than sorry,

Cheers,

Mark

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc