5 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:14 AM

Ive done a google search on my query but didn't really get a definitive answer. I'm in the middle of filling out an entry form for a film festival that I'll be submitting a short film to. Ive elected to send them a Bluray if my film is selected for screening. However, they want to know if my film will be 16:9 (Letterboxed) or 16:9 (Anamorphic.) The film was shot in High Definition so it's native aspect ratio is 16:9. However, is a Bluray likely to be Letterboxed or Anamorphic? I'm assuming Anamorphic but correct me if I'm wrong. Or does it all depend on who does the burning / authoring?

#2 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:18 AM

To be honest, I don't think it would fit into either category. Though looks like I have to tick one of these two boxes on the entry form. I guess it's safer to go with the Letterboxed option.

#3 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:50 AM

16:9 shouldn't be letterboxed unless it is being projected on a 4:3 screen.  You should enquirer as to the projector format.

Furthermore, if your film was encoded to the disk with anamorphic (squeezed) pixels, it would need to be unsqueezed during projection.

#4 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

Blu Ray is a HD format so is square pixels only. Its 16:9 native e.g thats the default shape - it achieves this ratio without the use of letterboxing or non-square pixels. 1920x 1080 is the standard format for blueray you only require letter boxing for wider then 16:9 formats. Less wide formats 1.66:1 and 4:3 conversely require pillarboxing to fit 

#5 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

I'll give a full list of the options listed under the Projection Ratio Digital heading on the entry form:

4:3 (Full frame)

16:9 (Letterboxed)

16:9 (Anamorphic)

Strange that there is no 16:9 (Full frame) option as that is what Bluray essentially is. And Bluray is listed as one of the accepted formats on the entry form.

Perhaps their screen is 4:3 and some films have to be letterboxed to display a 16:9 image on it. Then again they also appear to accept anamorphic films. And if they can project anamorphic films, then surely they could also display full frame 16:9 images?

There's also a Film Projection Ratio heading as well with the following options for film prints:

Full frame (silent

1:1.37 (Academy)

1:1.66

1:1.85

1:2.35 (Scope)

So the only thing missing is a 16:9 (full frame) checkbox to tick.I guess I'll just have to write one in myself and tick that.

Edited by Patrick Cooper, 05 April 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

The options look leftover from SD days...

Visual Products

Technodolly

CineTape

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Pro 8mm

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies