New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:59 AM

Hello all,

I have recently purchased what looks to be and was described as a "Superb... in very, very good condition" Canon 1014 XL-S after asking many questions of the 'reputable' seller.

As it turns out there is one possible problem that I may not be able to live with, ie. get good clear footage. The viewfinder displays significant hazing. I am able to adjust the diopter ring no problem to give quiet sharp viewing but there is still the cloudiness over the entire viewfinder area.

In short, will I be able to shoot clean, sharp footage or is there some kind of fungus, dirt or otherwise that will render this camera a film waster?

Thank you in advance for any help.

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:33 AM

Apart from the lens, the viewfinder system is a different light pathway, with its own prisms and elements that can become dirty or fogged, so a hazy viewfinder in in most cases will not result in hazy footage.

Check that the lens itself is not fungus-ridden, or has damaged glass surfaces, but chances are that the haze is in the viewfinder optics somewhere.

Shooting a test cartridge will give you the definitive answer of course.

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:35 AM

If the lens is clear the dirt  is probably only in the viewfinder system and won't affect the film, but you'd need a test to confirm.

If it's not as described, send it back, unless it was so cheap you don't mind trying to fix it yourself. There are plenty more available.

#4 steve horner

steve horner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:48 AM

Thank you Dom and Mark for your prompt replies.

The front and rest of the lens elements look to be fine as good as can be inspected but I guess the answer really is to shoot a roll as recommended.

The camera came at a good price but anything paid for what may deteriorate further is too much I guess.

I am pretty mechanically minded but would a strip down and clean be a major job on these cameras?

Regards and thank you again for your help.

Edited by steve horner, 06 April 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:51 AM

There's this

http://canon-s8-repa...disassembly.php

but for a different model. Some may be applicable though. I probably wouldn't take it on if the camera was otherwise useable, but I'd repeat that if it's not as described, return it. I don't know about your consumer laws but here a trade seller is liable for the description. If it's ebay of course you have the benefit of their rules.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 06 April 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#6 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

Yeah I wouldn't recommend trying to dismantle it, they're quite the nightmare to disassemble and chances are it's something you can't clean anyway like the glued surfaces inside a prism. You can probably remove the eyepiece itself to check the inner surface of the diopter, but I suspect it will be deeper in.

#7 steve horner

steve horner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

Sound advice all around and much appreciated gentlemen, regards - Steve.

Edited by steve horner, 06 April 2016 - 05:02 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Zylight

Technodolly

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider