#1 Alexandros Angelopoulos Apostolos

Alexandros Angelopoulos Apostolos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Student
  • Athens

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

I’m not sure if this was posted here or if it’s of interest to anyone, but I’ll give it a try:

http://www.broadcast...nab-2016/155584

Could I ask what is the “Cooke look”? How can it be described?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

I can only say that it is a bit less contrasty and less crisp than the Zeiss Master Prime look, and the field of focus is slightly less flat, again compared to Zeiss Master Primes.  Lately I've been using the Leica Summilux-C lenses and find them to be somewhere in between the Cooke and the Zeiss look, similar to Panavision Primos except that they are T/1.4 lenses.  It's all pretty subtle stuff though, it's not like one is good and the other bad.  Since I often slip in some diffusion, I tend to like the high-contrast of the Master Primes to counteract some of the haziness of the diffusion filters.  One advantage to the Cookes is that they intercut better with zooms, which also tend to have a flatter contrast.

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

I can only say that it is a bit less contrasty and less crisp than the Zeiss Master Prime look, and the field of focus is slightly less flat, again compared to Zeiss Master Primes.  Lately I've been using the Leica Summilux-C lenses and find them to be somewhere in between the Cooke and the Zeiss look, similar to Panavision Primos except that they are T/1.4 lenses.  It's all pretty subtle stuff though, it's not like one is good and the other bad.  Since I often slip in some diffusion, I tend to like the high-contrast of the Master Primes to counteract some of the haziness of the diffusion filters.  One advantage to the Cookes is that they intercut better with zooms, which also tend to have a flatter contrast.

Have you tried the Zeiss CZ.2 Compact Zooms yet David? The colour and contrast are a extremely close to the Master Primes, in fact I'd say the CZ.2s actually seem a tiny bit more contrasty than the Masters.

They're a great deal easier to match to the Zeiss primes than the Angenieuxs. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cooke, anamorphic, zoom

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Zylight

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Glidecam