Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hi,

Not trying to start a Mac or PC argument, but I am in favour of the Lee Gels.

But I always felt they look more solid (as I feel how durable they are).

Do they cut different amount of light depending on the brand?

C

#2 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

The gel specs are always listed on the site.  How many stops they will take away etc.  I have noticed that for correction gels, I much prefer Rosco.  But for diffusion, I think Lee is way better.  Just my own opinion though.

#3 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:11 PM

To the best of my knowledge, ND.6 is ND .6 , Rosco, Lee, or GAM.  Some makes make be more heat and fade resistant, but that's probably a discussion for a theater/traveling show board like Controlbooth.

#4 Carl Nenzen Loven

Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

The gel specs are always listed on the site.  How many stops they will take away etc.  I have noticed that for correction gels, I much prefer Rosco.  But for diffusion, I think Lee is way better.  Just my own opinion though.

Did a quick check at their sites. Full CTB had a 2% transmission difference between the brands (Rosco being 36, Lee being 34).

Not sure how much that will make difference in real practice.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

I just prefer lee for printing along the side of the gel WTF it is. It's such a simple thing, but so so so nice, just to be able to pick it up and go, oh, ok, i can't read the sharpie on this  (if any)  but it's x or y.

They're all good; just don't mix them, that's all. If you order Lee for your corrections, stick wiith lee for all corrections, don't do one head with lee CTO and one with Rosco (though honestly, i doubt it'd make that big a difference, least of all when you can roughly see it on the day)

#6 Shawn Sagady

Shawn Sagady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Maryland

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:02 AM

If I recall correctly LEE makes some really nice high heat version of their GELS which would likely hold up better with film lighting vs theatrical lighting where you are unlikely to see anything more than 1k.

#7 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:24 AM

If I recall correctly LEE makes some really nice high heat version of their GELS which would likely hold up better with film lighting vs theatrical lighting where you are unlikely to see anything more than 1k.

Two point of conjecture: "real" theater shows occasional have 2k(s) and 5k(s); the same piece of gel on a theater light may be used for weeks at a time.  Unlikely in the film world, unless it's a standing set on an episodic..

#8 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

I just prefer lee for printing along the side of the gel WTF it is. It's such a simple thing, but so so so nice, just to be able to pick it up and go, oh, ok, i can't read the sharpie on this  (if any)  but it's x or y.

They're all good; just don't mix them, that's all. If you order Lee for your corrections, stick wiith lee for all corrections, don't do one head with lee CTO and one with Rosco (though honestly, i doubt it'd make that big a difference, least of all when you can roughly see it on the day)

The printing on the edge of Lee gel rolls is a necessity of the "pay per use" expendables world.  It's there for the convenience of the rental house, no measuring, weighing or estimating of how many feet of gels were used..

Edited by JD Hartman, 19 April 2016 - 06:06 AM.

CineTape

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Zylight

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies