#1 andrew ward

andrew ward
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

I never know how to compare led panels.
Im comparing to my litepanel 1x1 daylight spot.

The new version of Astra bicolor, is it as bright as the daylight only version when its in daylight mode. I understand from reading the website that it is. But thats not usual (ie if they could put double the amount of leds on the panel, why dont they do it for the single colours? (Heat?)).
Id usually only buy daylight and gel it (i know Guy Holt, led doesnt gel like other sources), but is the Astra worth paying a bit extra to get bicolour?

Thanks

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

Kinda depends on the type of work you do I guess. I found the bi-color useful on a recent job where we were doing interviews along with live event coverage in a very dark bar. Just a sound person, AC, and me. It was quite nice to be able to quickly dial in color temp for key and kicker as they brought in person after person.

I don't usually do live event, but I was covering for a friend who just had a baby. If I'm doing interviews, there's usually a grip truck and at least an hour to light so in that case I'm using bigger units. So in that case I'm less likely to use the Astras. To me, their use is mostly for run-and-gun scenarios in which case I'm using batteries and no gels.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Zylight

CineLab

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Pro 8mm

The Slider