Photo

Does a viewfinder attached to a lens effect exposure?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Student
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi, long time casual browser, first time question asker.

I was wondering, when shooting film (in this case, regular 16) with a lens that has a view finder attached (in this case, a Som Berthiot 17.5-70)  ... is there some type of optical prism in the lens to allow this viewfinder to work and does it effect your exposure measurement / setting? Surely it's robbing a bit of light as it passes by?

Sorry if this has been discussed already on this forum but couldn't find a thread with the same question. Excuse me if I've doubled up.

Thanks for your help

Brenton. 

#2 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

There's a partially silvered prism in there that does take light for the eyepiece.  I have had a Som Berthio zoom with one of these finders and I think I allowed that it took 1/3 of a stop.  Long time ago.  Perhaps someone who knows this zoom can tell you.

#3 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Student
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

There's a partially silvered prism in there that does take light for the eyepiece.  I have had a Som Berthio zoom with one of these finders and I think I allowed that it took 1/3 of a stop.  Long time ago.  Perhaps someone who knows this zoom can tell you.

Okay, that sounds about right. So between different shutter angles and prisms on my two Bolex's, I have a lot of things to remember, haha. 

Thanks. 

#4 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1530 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:51 AM

I can't remember if that particular zoom has a red T stop (for transmission) index mark next to the f stop mark, but the total light loss of both reflex dogleg prism and internal reflections probably ends up being more than 2/3 of a stop. It's a very early zoom, later ones certainly had the T stop marked, since that much light loss was problematic for cinematography.

The different shutter angles of Bolexes can certainly be confusing, I haven't seen an online resource that accurately describes the
changes by serial number other than this old post:
http://www.cinematog...showtopic=55725

Watch out for fungus in those old Berthiot zooms, I've seen it in quite a few, must be the type of coating they used.

The Slider

CineLab

Visual Products

CineTape

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC