Robby N

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

Hi everybody!

I was recently handed down an old Bolex 350, but the zoom ring seems to be stuck. I found the following entry from a few years back, http://www.cinematog...showtopic=61344. But I can't make anything of of it. Anyone that could help me in the right direction of fixing the problem? 

Cheers,

#2 Mark Day

Mark Day
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

This is kinda funny and I had to laugh.  Is it necessary to say "old" Bolex?

#3 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:06 AM

This is kinda funny and I had to laugh.  Is it necessary to say "old" Bolex?

I tend to think of an "old" Bolex as one of the non-reflex ones from the 40s and 50s, while a "new" Bolex is one from the 60s and on. The factory kept assembling certain models from their parts inventory until fairly recently, so you actually could have bought a "new" one even 10 years ago.

I'm talking about the 16mm models, I don't think of the plastic Super 8 cameras branded Bolex as being true Bolexes, they were on the whole made by Eumig.

#4 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

Hi everybody!

I was recently handed down an old Bolex 350, but the zoom ring seems to be stuck. I found the following entry from a few years back, http://www.cinematog...showtopic=61344. But I can't make anything of of it. Anyone that could help me in the right direction of fixing the problem? 

Cheers,

I would take a guess that the problem is the clutch of the zoom motor, which allows the zoom to be manually turned while it is still connected to the motor. Usually this is like a spring loaded pair of plates that are pushed together to create a friction join, that can slip if you turn hard enough, but that might have seized together over time. Could be a disk against a gear. You'd need to open the camera up to have a look.

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Zylight

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

The Slider

CineTape

Pro 8mm

Abel Cine