Photo

Elastic strap/vest for operating Canon C-series?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff Smith

Geoff Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

Hi,

First time posting here, amazing what a great resource this site is even in "read-only" mode, great thanks to all for advice and help past, present and future...

I'm a DIT usually but I have an opportunity to do more operating/DP work in the future with Canon C-series cameras. I've heard tell of, but have never seen, a handheld scheme for these consisting of a sturdy elastic strap worn bandolier-style, perhaps in conjunction with a vest, that essentially allows you to "bungee" the camera to yourself for chest-level handheld operation by cradling. Obviously with a very stripped-down rig. Is this a "thing" or just an urban camera dept. myth? I don't feel these cameras go well on the shoulder and this type of arrangement is appealing (I'm about 6'4", so shoulder-mount rigs on me are usually from a slightly unnaturally high POV).

Thanks for any info. and for such a great resource...

#2 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:28 AM

easy rig is what you are talking about I think.. ?

#3 Geoff Smith

Geoff Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Robin, but no, I've operated with the EasyRig before and found it a bit awkward (but only once and without enough time to dial in the fit properly). Plus it's a bit bulky/indiscreet as well for run-n-gun. I've heard of this (elastic strap thing) being done with a stripped down Red Epic as well.

#4 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

oh ok .. I only recently bought an easy rig and agree it does take a bit of getting used to..  so how is this strap attached above your head ?

#5 Geoff Smith

Geoff Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

Not sure, was kind of under the impression that it didn't, and just attached to the back of the camera at about sternum height, maybe with a cinesaddle or small "buddha bag" underneath for support. Ha, maybe I dreamed this?

#6 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

Was it something like those Blackrapid straps that still photographers use? If I have to do this for long periods of time, I go with either the Buddha bag method or a monopod. If you use a Cinesaddle, replace the styrofoam beads with small bits of foam so it doesn't make as much noise.

I personally hate the Easyrig and never got the hang of it, but some operators are really talented with it and know how to use it just right.

#7 Geoff Smith

Geoff Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

Satsuma -- thanks, I think we're on the same page about the Easyrig, it didn't feel quite right to me either. I also had the Varicam35 on so a bigger payload that was a handful. Thanks for the tips on modding the Cinesaddle, will give it a go next time I have one to use.

I think the strap I'm thinking of may have started life as a rifle sling of some kind, there are ones that have some "give" to them, probably neoprene or another thermoplastic material. But I have no idea how it attached to the camera (perhaps through a rapid-style speed ring or something like that as you suggest).

Certainly sounds like a DIY solution and not an actual product. Oh well, thanks all for your thoughts on this. If I cobble something together for my next shoot I'll share some pics.

#8 Geoff Smith

Geoff Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:29 PM

Satsuki -- sorry for misspelling your name (damn autocorrect)

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera