#1 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

I have been a member of the forums here since 2005, and would love to become a sustaining member. I really want to contribute to the community. However, I search around all the links, FAQ, etc., and cannot find any way to pay whatever fee needs to be paid to become such a member.

Does anyone have the details on how this is done? Thanks!

#2 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Good question.  I thought it used to be a tab in the "My Profile" section.  But if you can't find it, I'd just PM Tim.

#3 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

No one used it so I turned it off, and many of the features included in a Sustaining Membership have now been implemented for all members.

#4 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

I've been here since the start of the year, what exactly is a "sustaining member"?

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2575 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

There used to be an option to contribute financially to the forum, which gave you access to additional features when posting.

#6 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

Oh well, just thought I'd check. Didn't really care much about the features, just though a little support was due. No worries :)

#7 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:21 AM

I'd post a 'Shut Up And Take My Money!' gif but alas, it seems I cannot in this thread. Thought that was one of the benefits of being a sustaining member.

On the other hand, I got this shiny yellow sticker under my name. So there's that.

#8 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1027 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

Well, the features may have been democratised, and the will to financially support this forum disincentivised, but that yellow sticker will always remain with us founding funders ;-) ... At least I hope Tim won't do away with the Sustaining Members sticker! I like the yellow blop, it brightens up the threads, and although I am the only regular SM in the Super 8 subforum, I like the sticker very much. Keep'em around!

#9 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, it's cool and I understand Tim's reason for removing it. I only asked initially because I have gleaned so much assistance and things from this forum from being a member back, even, 10 years ago or more - just wondered if it was possible to still show support financially. I imagine running the sustaining membership thing probably cost more than what was made off of it in the long run - though I don't know the financials behind such a forum feature. 

Edited by Landon D. Parks, 08 May 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#10 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

Well, the features may have been democratised, and the will to financially support this forum disincentivised, but that yellow sticker will always remain with us founding funders ;-) ... At least I hope Tim won't do away with the Sustaining Members sticker! I like the yellow blop, it brightens up the threads, and although I am the only regular SM in the Super 8 subforum, I like the sticker very much. Keep'em around!

Amen, brother. 

#11 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1027 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

Hey, Matthew, old friend! Long time no see! :-D

Landon, I am surprised to read the option to financially support Ciny.com is totally gone, but Tim will have had his reasons. I am sure he appreciates your wish to give :-)

I shoot on cine-film, especially Super 8, for decades, and still have threads here where I learn, and equally try to contribute a bit. This place is very special in the WWW. It shall prevail!

#12 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

If you have a business rent a button/banner on the righthand side of the forum :) That makes for good support.

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

CineLab

Abel Cine

CineTape

Zylight

Pro 8mm

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies