#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

Obviously, this forum is centered around the visual aspects which go into a motion picture. Other topics include editing, sound, and so on. Because it's such a crucial part of the film process, why is there no screenwriting/wordsmithing board?

Just curious, thanks.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18788 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

Maybe the name of the website is a clue? ;-)

#3 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:35 AM

Luckily, this is not Stage32 - where everyone is everything, all the time.

Here, even the editing & sound posts usually connect to cinematography in some small way.  And all three crafts have both aesthetic & technical components to them.  I guess you could make an argument for the "technical" side of screenwriting but how far would that conversation go?  Use a Smith-Corona or Final Draft?...

#4 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:21 AM

With the editing board I understand your point (dealing with the footage one just shot), but the sound board seems to have a bigger disconnect from the broad term of cinematography, which puts screenwriting as a notion in my mind in the first place.

And I believe there are many technical elements within the craft of screenwriting beyond Celtx vs. MS Word. The formula of writing a joke for example has a nice helping of guidelines to follow (that many people are oblivious to until explained once). Other suggestions on how to type a page that "flows" not in terms of content, but line breaking and formatting.

This place already covers such a wide array of things as it is I figured "What's one more?"

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4743 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:17 AM

With one person camera operations the same person will be doing the cinematography and the sound recording, so a sound.board makes sense.

I know screenwriters can get as techie about their craft as other people and I know forum members write their own scripts. However, I suspect going to a writing forum may be better for a scriptwriter because it doesn't usualy involve directly working with a cinematographer and you want a freedom that doesn't come from worrying about that aspect.

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

CineLab

The Slider

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Visual Products

Pro 8mm

Zylight