hd-100 with c-mount lenses?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Swaim

Trevor Swaim
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

does anyone have any idea wether this will work? if i remember correctly the backfocus distance of the c-mount is far to short to work on most cameras if they weren't designed for it. the reason i ask is an acquaintance is selling his late fathers super8 kit and it includes a ziess 10-100 c-mount that was on, i believe, a beaulieu 4008. as well as a set of primes (not sure of the make). he already sold the 4008 and an angineux zoom on ebay and would like to list these if i don't want them.

so any clue if this would work? any firm shipping dates on the hd-100? do you think that the old ziess lens would be of significantly, if at all, greater sharpness, clarity, or color fidelity over the fuji to warrant its purchase?

this is not a pic of the actual lens but i believe this is the same model10_100_ziess_vario_sonnar_c_mount.jpg

#2 Trevor Swaim

Trevor Swaim
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

:(

nobody have any idea? I am really intrested in doing this.

i am worried that nobody is looking in this subfourm. perhaps i should repost in the general hd only fourm...

#3 Valeriu Campan

Valeriu Campan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:17 AM

:(

nobody have any idea? I am really intrested in doing this.

i am worried that nobody is looking in this subfourm. perhaps i should repost in the general hd only fourm...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the JVC is a 3 chip camera, you will have problems with the color alignment from the prism. Video lenses take into consideration the lenght of the light path for the 3 colors. A C mount cine lens will work well with single chip CMOS sensors, preferably 2/3" or larger.
16mm lenses are designed for a larger capture area than 1/3" of theJVC camera. The MTF of a 16mm lens should be significantly different from the one designed for the 1/3" format.

#4 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:49 AM

If the JVC is a 3 chip camera, you will have problems with the color alignment from the prism. Video lenses take into consideration the lenght of the light path for the 3 colors.  A C mount cine lens will work well with single chip CMOS sensors, preferably 2/3" or larger.
16mm lenses are designed for a larger capture area than 1/3" of theJVC camera. The MTF of a 16mm lens should be significantly different from the one designed for the 1/3" format.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The XL1s seems to work very well with SLR lenses.

#5 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:02 AM

And they work even better with arri mount cine lenses -- which is what is usually used in those features shot with them via a popular adapter. Well, as good as miniDV can look -- which isn't all that great -- but none the less.

Edited by santo, 04 September 2005 - 08:03 AM.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:06 AM

Hi,

I think it's one of those things that works well enough but offends a purist engineer.

You do have to wonder why they didn't put a C mount on it. As I understand, the C mount is most universal, since it's got the shortest distance to the imaging plane and therefore is suitable for adapting to a lot of things. The Z1 that was adapted for broadcast lenses was actually a C mount conversion with a B3 adapter on it - so they could have supplied that adapter installed, nobody would have known any different, and it would have been easy to convert it to any lens you wanted.

If I'm right, which I might not be.

Phil

#7 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hi,

I think it's one of those things that works well enough but offends a purist engineer.

You do have to wonder why they didn't put a C mount on it. As I understand, the C mount is most universal, since it's got the shortest distance to the imaging plane and therefore is suitable for adapting to a lot of things. The Z1 that was adapted for broadcast lenses was actually a C mount conversion with a B3 adapter on it - so they could have supplied that adapter installed, nobody would have known any different, and it would have been easy to convert it to any lens you wanted.

If I'm right, which I might not be.

Phil

That' a great idea. Then we could use C mount primes with the HD100 as well. I wonder why JVC didn't think about that.

#8 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:00 PM

What about this option: http://www.hdvinfo.n...mini35test2.php

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc