#1 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:10 PM

Just got this for F5.. but works off any SDI /D tap set up on your camera.. very good bit of gear.. super sharp and their own patented anti fog coating replaceable diopters.. Arri rosette.. good price.. built like a tank.. they drop test it and even ran it over with a car.. ! ideal for F5/55 C300 Fs7 type camera,s..  I don't have any shares in zacuto or affiliation .. :)  just thought I would pass on my findings to anyone interested .. 

#2 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

Good to hear! I'm hoping they deliver, especially since I now have two of them sitting here on my shelf, with no bloody cameras to actually put them on yet :P

#3 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:19 PM

Two of them ! well thats still cheaper than one Sony OLED..!  I also got the custom cable from Zacuto  D tap-Lemo/BNC Rt angle BNC..  I got the LCD originally because I like the big screen,and didnt really like the Sony OLED which I had been using on a rented F5..but fogging up is a problem for me.. the anti fog was one of the main reasons to change.. but yes its great.. small and looks good (very important!).. LCD is a bit of lump on the side of the camera.. can apply a LUT for S & Q..

Anyone with a C300 or Fs7 with their very questionable VF,s..  buying this would be a total no brainer 

#4 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

I've got to put two camera packages together for a feature I'm shooting over in India June-Sept. And after a great deal of spreadsheeting and lying awake at night fretting over the options - I decided (and my producer agreed) that pairing older cameras with top of the line support gear, was going to be a better bet than the alternative (newer cameras but underwhelming tripods, follow focusses, matteboxes, NDs, EVFs, monitors etc.).

The Eye looks like a piece of kit that'll serve me very nicely for multiple generations of cameras to come, so it seemed a sound investment.

#5 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:38 AM

The anti fog should serve you well.. you get 2 with each unit I believe.. might be worth taking a few more if your there for a long time.. only clean them with water though,and light cloth .. 

Im getting to grips with the EYE.. can get the camera menu to come up but better to use all the EYE frame lines etc as they wont burn in,like the camera ones will.. Im used to having a few things in the VF.. ISO,shutter,zoom position, and how much left on the cards in the VF just for security sake.. but will learn to live without them .. actually quite nice to have a totally free frame.. I just have the 16-9 box and cross hairs.. can toggle in the WF/Hist .. but generally I never have all that stuff going as I shoot.. too distracting ..

Just remember to unplug it.. no on/off switch.. but has sleep mode ..if you forget over lunch not a problem.. but over night could be..but who is leaving the battery on the camera over night anyway.. 

What camera are you using.. sounds exciting shoot! ..

#6 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

The F35 will be my a-camera, with an F3 playing b-camera/low-light duties. Both recording uncompressed 1080p 4:4:4 .dpx to Odyssey 7Qs. Will use up more data than my bloody F5 did shooting 4k 16-bit raw!

#7 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

Never used the F35.. but presume ,as it was the flagship back in the day.. the VF must be pretty good.. its 2/3 inch 3CCD isnt it.  .. what sort of lenses will you use.. (I would think the EYE will be perfect for he F3.. again Ive not used one.. does it have two SDI outs..)

#8 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:30 AM

I'm sure the original evf was good when the camera was new. But it's standard def, and not acceptable for determining critical focus with HD (hence the Eye), the 2/3" version was the F23, the F35 is a S35mm single-chip CCD.

The F3 has dual SDI outs for recording and another for monitoring.

I'll be shooting on Zeiss CZ.2 Compact Zooms.

#9 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

ok sounds good sir.. good luck with the shoot..

#10 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

Cheers, I fear I'll need it!

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc