#1 Ted Keaton III

Ted Keaton III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other
  • Greensboro, NC

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

I would appreciate any advice or input regarding how to make a test roll with a new camera... any pointers?

Curious what are the key things you look for when viewing a test roll?

If there are any links online that may guide, please post as well... I did not find anything.

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1923 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

Hey Ted. Important to have a good test chart. I usually set a camera up and place something like a dollar bill that has a lot of small detail at spacing intervals based on the distance markings on the lens. Slate one pass as by the marks, then slate another pass by the eye (and noting or taking a photo of where the lens markings are). Basically you're comparing actual focus to what the markings say it should be. Remember to measure distances from the film plane and not from the front of the lens...

Here's a little more info:

http://www.theblacka...king-backfocus/

For 16mm and 35mm cameras & magazines registration tests are really important but I'm not sure how relevant they would be for Super 8 since so much of that would depend on the cartridge and they vary significantly from cartridge to cartridge. I guess you could compare two different Super 8 cameras using the same cartridge and that would give you some information on which one was more solid.

Zylight

CineTape

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post